Transport Festival - Sunday 3 November 2019 - The Vehicles
This lists the vehicles that we intend to
be on the road on Sunday.
updated 1.11.19 - Eastbourne 12 added
updated 31.10.19 - Lincoln 5, London Transport RM 121, Midland Red 227 and 5905 added
CVL 212, 1947 Austin 10 saloon
right - JV 4936, 1936 Austin 18 saloon
TFE 475W - 1981 Austin Allegro
right - FW 9805, 1937 Ford V8 shooting brake
Buses and Coaches
|Brown's Blue Bus
Service - KLB 596 - 1950 AEC Regent / RT, Weymann double deck
Markfield (Leics) independent operator 'Browns Blue' was taken over by Midland Red in 1963, and among the operating fleet were nine ex London Transport RT type buses. None of these survived into preservation, and to mark the 50th anniversary, KLB 596 was restored to Browns' livery.
As RT 1347, it was new at London Transport's Holloway garage, and acquired its current chassis and body combination at a 1967 overhaul. It has been in preservation since withdrawal in 1978.
Owned by Mr & Mrs Gamble, Leics.
| Crosville CRL 267 (TFM 267K) - 1972
Bristol RELH6L, ECW single deck
New in National white coach livery, this 'series 2' ECW coach later received the 'local coach' green and white livery, and was re-numbered ERL 267. PSV use was followed from 1986 onwards by use as a mobile classroom / technology unit in Scotland, prior to entering preservation in 1997. After restoration to green / white livery, it received a repaint in to Crosville's traditional cream / black coach livery in 2019.
Owned by Mr B Sharpe, Notts
|Delaine Buses 116
(M1 OCT) - 1995 Volvo Olympian, East Lancs double-deck
The first Volvo bought new by the fleet and the last to be ordered and collected by the late Hugh Delaine-Smith MBE, No. 116 was the first of six Volvo Olympians that joined the fleet between 1995 and 1999. It was the last of the batch in service with Delaine, and the last step entrance bus in the fleet, operating the last scheduled step entrance journey between Bourne and Peterborough on 31 December 2016. It was then withdrawn from service and is now part of the the Delaine Heritage Trust fleet.
| Delaine Buses 128
(S5 OCT) - 1998 Volvo Olympian, East Lancs double deck
One of six Volvo Olympians that joined the Delaine fleet between 1995 and 1999, No. 128 was placed in store in Summer 2012, but reinstated in September to meet increased loadings on schools services. It continued in service to 2014, when it passed to Sleafordian Coaches, Sleaford. On withdrawal in 2019, it passed in to preservation with the Eastern Bus EnthusiastsGroup, and it currently carries white livery pending a repaint to Delaine livery.
photo courtesy Eastern Bus Enthusiasts
Corporation 122 (KDT 393) - 1951 AEC Regent III, Roe double deck
A one-off 8 ft wide in the Doncaster fleet, it was sold after only 4 years service, passing to local independent Blue Ensign. After withdrawal in 1967, this bus was later used for driver training in the Nottingham area, passing in to preservation in the early 1970s. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
Corporation 12 (JK 8418) - 1939 Leyland Lion LT9, Leyland single deck
One of a batch of 15 delivered in 1939, No. 12 was the only one that was not requisitioned for military use in the 1939 - 45 war. In 1954, its original petrol engine was replaced with a diesel engine from a 1935 Leyland TS7 Tiger. It was withdrawn from service and entered preservation in 1967. Owned by Mr P Bryden
Picture by Jon's Pics on Flickr, used under Creative Commons licence.
|W Gash and Sons
DD2 (KAL 579) - 1948 Daimler CVD6, Massey double deck
This bus was new in 1948 with a Strachan low-bridge body, one of a batch of four Daimlers which were the first new double deckers bought by independent W Gash and Sons Ltd. In the late 1950s, the batch received new Massey bodies to standard 'high-bridge' style, the low railway bridge at Saxondale having been modified.
This bus continued as one of Gash's well known fleet of Daimlers until 1979, when it entered preservation. After many years at the Transport Museum at Wythall, Worcestershire, it joined the LVVS fleet in 2017, and made its operational debut at our Newark event in Summer 2019.
Cleethorpes Transport 30 (E930 PBE), 1987 Leyland Tiger, Alexander P type
One of a batch of four Gardner engined Tiger buses, intended mainly for post deregulation interurban services beyond GCT's traditional operating area. It passed along with the company to Stagecoach, and on withdrawal in 2001, passed to Bankfoot Buses, Perth and later to Stanways, Rode Heath, Staffordshire. It is currently preserved in Stanways livery pending a full repaint.
owned by Mr M Short
Cleethorpes Transport 57 (NAT 766A - originally TJV 100) - 1962 Daimler
CVG6-30, Roe double deck
The last in a long line of Daimler half cab buses bought by the Grimsby-Cleethorpes Joint Transport Committee and its constituent Cleethorpes Corporation, No. 57 fittingly survived to be the last such bus in regular service, prior to its withdrawal in 1981. It then passed in to non-PSV use in north Lincolnshire, including use as farm workers' transport as the 'Barton Berry Bus' in Barton on Humber. It entered preservation in 1989 by which time it had lost its original registration number.
owned by Messrs Hutchinson, Lincs
Corporation 5 (VL 1263) - 1929 Leyland Lion LT1, Applewhites single deck
Believed to be the only surviving bus with bodywork by Lincoln based Applewhites', this bus was first withdrawn from service in 1938, to be reinstated the following year because of the war-time shortage of buses, and kept in service until 1949. After 6 years' further use as a snow-plough, No. 5 was rescued from a scrap-yard to become the LVVS's first vehicle. It was extensively restored by Lincoln City Council in 1984-6.
Corporation 73 (UVL 873M) - 1973 Bristol RELL, Alexander Y type single
New to City of Lincoln in 1973 as one of a batch of 12 REs. No. 73 was the first of the batch to be withdrawn, and passed to Birds' of Ongar, Essex in 1983. It later passed to Webb, Galleywood, Essex. By 1992 the bus was in the care of Craig Tilsley, engineers, in Staffordshire. After the bus came to the Society's attention in late 2000, Craig Tilsley donated the bus to the Society. An extensive restoration was carried out in 2010/11 by the transport team of the Lincolnshire Co-operative Society, as a community donation; and the bus has been on the road since spring 2011 in an advertsing livery for the Co-op, and attended many events as part of the Lincolnshire Co-op's 150th anniversary celebrations.
Corporation 89 (RFE 416) - 1961 Leyland 'Titan' PD2, Roe double deck
A late example with vacuum brakes and built to 7'6" width, originally delivered in a non standard shade of green, No. 89 survived to be Lincoln's last open platform bus in service in 1977, then entering preservation.
(FFU 860) - 1949 AEC Regal III, Willowbrook single deck
Ordered by Enterprise Passenger Services, Scunthorpe, but delivered after Road Car had acquired the Company. This bus ran briefly in Enterprise's red/cream livery (and as far as we are aware, without fleetnames) prior to repaint into Tillings green livery. After non-public use, this bus came to preservation in the early 1970s.
| Lincolnshire 1045
(SVL 830R) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
New in 1977 as one of Lincolnshire's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker, No. 1045 served at a number of depots, including a spell in a special 'Newton Rider' livery for Grantham area services. No. 1045 was withdrawn in 1993 and began a second career as a driver training bus with Derby City Transport, passing to Arriva Derby. Withdrawn in 1999, it passed in to preservation, and after some years in 'National green' livery, it currently wears post privatisation green / white / yellow livery.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
(YVL 837S) - 1978 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
One of Lincolnshire Road Car's large fleet of Bristol LH buses, and carried a semi advertising livery for some time in the National Bus Company years. In 1987 it was hired to Maun of Mansfield. After being withdrawn in 1989, it moved to the north-east, and saw further service with the Tyne & Wear Omnibus Company then Blue Bus Services. From 1994 it became a driver training bus. The new century saw this bus return to Lincolnshire in preservation, and it has recently been returned to running order in National Bus green livery.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
(FW 5698) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
Leyland single deck buses were the mainstay of the pre-war Lincolnshire Road Car fleet, this bus (new as fleet number LT 368 with a Brush body) was one of the first batch of what became a fleet of 88 'Tiger' TS7 and TS8 models purchased in the mid 1930s, and were among the first buses in the County to be powered by an oil (diesel) rather than a petrol engine. A new Burlingham body was fitted in 1949, and the bus was renumbered1411 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired by the Societys founder member, the late Vincent LeTall, for preservation, and passed along with the rest of his vehicles to the Society.
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
1958 (PFE 542V) - 1980 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
(OVL 465) - 1960 Bristol MW5G, ECW single deck
In service with Lincolnshire Road Car until 1977, this bus saw seasonal use for farm workers' transport in the York area until 1994, still carrying National Bus green livery. Acquired for preservation, it passed to its current owner in 1995 and was restored to Tillings green.
| Lincolnshire 2318
(LFW 326) - 1955 Bristol LD6B 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
An early example of the 'Lodekka' design that allowed adequate headroom in both decks, within a 13'6" height. This bus worked mainly from the Boston and Skegness depots until withdrawal in 1973, prior to being acquired for preservation by Vincent LeTall, one of the LVVS's founder members.
| Lincolnshire 2378
(OVL 473) - 1960 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
The 'FS' model was a later version of the 'Lodekka' design, and this is one of many specified by Lincolnshire (and neighbouring company 'Eastern Counties') with 5 cylinder engines. Withdrawn in 1977, 2378 ran for a year in service with J.P.Williamson of Gauldry, Newport-on-Tay before passing into private ownership. An unexpected return to passenger service came in 1986 with Stagecoach of Perth, followed by a spell with Stagecoach subsidiary Magic Bus in Glasgow, latterly as a driver training bus. In 1991 it returned to preservation, and is now owned by Mr I Rolley, Notts
| Lincolnshire 2494
(RFE 482) - 1961 Bristol SC4LK, ECW single deck
The SC was not very common among the 'Tilling' fleets, but Lincolnshire was the largest operator of the class, with 113 of the 323 built, the type being well suited to the rural network. 2494 was withdrawn from service in 1975, then running with Majestic, Barnsley. Later re-purchased by Lincolnshire Road Car for active preservation, it ran for some years with registration number NVL 165 before being re-united with its original number.
Owned by Stagecoach in Lincolnshire.
RM 121 (SSL 806 - new as VLT 121) - 1959 AEC Routemaster, Park Royal double
New to Poplar garage in East London for trolleybus replacement, RM 121 ran from several London garages, gaining its current chassis / body combination in 1981. Withdrawn in 1984, it ran for a few years for Holloway bus garage's sports association. A spell in preservation was followed by it joining Capital Citybus in London for private hire, then in 2000 it returned to front line service after a major refurbishment at Marshalls, Cambridge. It is now in the fleet of Vintage Vehicle & London Bus Hire, Nottingham, one of many London buses which are available for private hires.
RT 786 (JXC 149) - 1948 AEC Regent / RT, Park Royal double deck
New with a 'roofbox' body to Mortlake Garage, this bus received its current chassis / body combination in 1968. It was withdrawn from passenger service in 1978, having spent its last years at Bromley garage. After a short spell as a driver training bus, it was sold to its present owner in 1979 for preservation and has since been returned to full PSV status and one of a fleet of former London buses available for hire.
Owned by London Routemaster Bus Company, Wisbech
Sutton on Trent Optare Versa (fleet number TBC) single deck
One of three Optare Versa buses bought new by Marshalls of Sutton on Trent in 2016 / 17 mainly for the company's flagship 'Fosse Way Flyer' route between Newark and Nottingham, successor to the route established by W Gash and Sons of Newark.
Picture of OP 117 by user Motacilla on Wikimedia, used under Creative Commons licence.
|Midland Red 227
(JHA 227L) - 1973 Leyland Leopard, Marshall single deck
A 'dual purpose' example of Midland Red's S27 class single deck, a batch of 50 1973 models among over 500 Leyland Leopards bought by Midland Red. This vehicle spent most of its working life based at Shrewsbury, under Midland Red North ownership when the company was divided. Withdrawn in 1987, it passed in to preservation, and has been restored back to National Bus Company dual purpose livery.
Owned by Messrs Evans and Woods, Staffs
|Midland Red 5905
(PHA 505G) - 1968 BMMO S22, Carlyle single deck
One of a batch of 'dual purpose' vehicles built in house by Midland Red (BMMO) for longer distance bus services and private hire work, 5905 was new to Banbury depot, then passed to Nuneaton. Withdrawn in 1980, it was used by Derbyshire Police for staff transport until 1982 when it entered preservation. After pa few owners, it is now part of the Leicester Transport Heritage Trust collection.
Picture by user Martin49 on Flickr, used under Creative Commons licence.
|Midland Red 5919
(RHA 919G) - 1968 BMMO S23 integral single deck
One of the last fully 'home made' single deck buses built by BMMO in their own workshops, with BMMO 10.5 litre engine and semi automatic gearbox. This bus saw service at Banbury, Malvern and Wellington prior to withdrawal in 1980. It entered preservation in 1981.
Owned by Mr C May, Leics.
|Midland Red North
'Chaserider' 808 (BVP 808V) - 1980 Leyland National 2 single deck
New to Midland Red, this bus passed to Midland Red North in 1981 when the company was divided. In 1988, it ws sold to North Western, then in 1992 to Vanguard Coaches of Bedworth. In 1995, it moved again to G and G Travel of Leamington, then in 1997 returned to the Midland Red fold when that company was sold to Stagecoach Midland Red South. After entering preservation in 1999, it has had a few owners and now carries the 'Chaserider' fleetname adopted for the South Staffordshire area.
Owned by Messrs Coles and Owen, Worcs.
Corporation 129 (VV 8934) - 1945 Daimler CWD6, Duple 'utility' double deck
A rare survivor of the wartime 'utility' specification buses built to a basic design requiring the minimum of materials and skilled labour. After a body rebuild in 1952, No. 129 ran in service until 1959 and was sold for scrap. After an amazing survival, 129 was bought for preservation in 1991, and moved to Lincolnshire in 2000. A long restoration was completed in 2011.
| Tyne & Wear
413 (952 JUB) - 1964 AEC Regent V, Roe double deck
New to Leeds City Transport as No. 952, this bus passed via OK Motor Services to Tyne & Wear PTE in 1975, to meet what was expected to be a short term vehicle shortage. It ran until 1979, carrying mainly its Leeds livery with some panels painted yellow. It entered preservation after withdrawal, and after a few years out of action, returned to the road in 2014 carrying its Tyne & Wear livery.
654 (H654 VVV) - 1990 Leyland Olympian, Alexander RL double deck
The last of a batch of 5 long wheelbase Olympians delivered in October 1990 in Stagecoach stripes livery with United Counties fleetnames, 654 was new at Northampton depot, later allocated to Kettering then Bedford, by which time it carried fleet number 14054. It was withdrawn in 2010 and subsequently sold to Mortons Coaches of Tadley near Basingstoke who used it on rail replacement and school services. In 2016 the bus entered Mortons heritage fleet and regained Stagecoach livery with Hampshire Bus fleetnames. The bus was acquired for continuing preservation by a group of enthusiasts in May 2018 and now carries United Counties livery. The bus is now in the care of members of Northampton Transport Heritage.
Photo courtesy of Northampton Transport Heritage.
NOTE - This list is provided in good faith and does not include vehicles that are still 'provisional' or that are still subject to repairs / MOT test etc.
However, it is never possible to give categoric guarantees, and we can not promise that all vehicles listed will run in service, and reserve the right to substitute vehicles on the day. Where any withdrawals are made known to us in advance of the event, this page will be updated.
We are most grateful to the owners of visiting vehicles.
page updated 31.10.19