Transport Festival - Sunday 5 November 2017 - The Vehicles
This lists the vehicles that were on the road on Sunday 5 November.
| left -
AGO 903, 1933 Austin Seven saloon
right - VL 8960, 1937 Austin 10 saloon
| left -
CVL 212, 1947 Austin 10 saloon
right - TL 48, 1928 Austin 12 open tourer
JV 4936, 1936 Austin 18 saloon
right - FW 9805, 1937 Ford V8 shooting brake
BUT 7 - 1939 SS Jaguar 2.5 Litre
Buses and Coaches
|Black Cat Travel 'Bagpuss' - B19 BCT -
1990 Leyland Olympian / Alexander
New to Citybus, Hong Kong (fleet number 148, registration ET 1613), this bus came to the UK in 2003, and re-registered G128 WGX was one of a number of this batch operated by Stagecoach for its new 'Megabus' network. With Stagecoach fleet number 13636, it later passed to Stagecoach Western and received yellow 'school bus' livery. After a short spell on similar work with Stagecoach Bluebird, it passed to Stagecoach in the Highlands where it ran in white livery. It is now with Black Cat Travel of Lincoln, and has received silver / black livery.
Owned by Black Cat Travel, Lincoln.
|Black Cat Travel 'Wanda' - TJI 4926 -
1986 Leyland Tiger / Van Hool coach
New to Grant (Hellyers) of Fareham as C262 EME, this coach had by 2010 reached Lincolnshire and ran with KJB Travel until the operation closed. It was subsequently acquired by Black Cat Travel and has been thoroughly refurbished.
Owned by Black Cat Travel, Lincoln.
|Brown's Blue Bus
Service - KLB 596 - 1950 AEC Regent / RT, Weymann double deck
Markfield (Leics) independent operator 'Browns Blue' was taken over by Midland Red in 1963, and among the operating fleet were nine ex London Transport RT type buses. None of these survived into preservation, and to mark the 50th anniversary, KLB 596 was restored to Browns' livery.
As RT 1347, it was new at London Transport's Holloway garage, and acquired its current chassis and body combination at a 1967 overhaul. It has been in preservation since withdrawal in 1978.
Owned by Mr & Mrs Gamble, Leics.
|Delaine Buses 100
(E100 AFW) - 1987 Leyland Tiger, Duple Dominant single deck New in
1987, this was the last Duple Dominant built, and and was the last Leyland to
remain in service with Delaine after 78 years of continuous Leyland operation,
which began in 1930 also with a Duple bodied Leyland Tiger. After a short while
in the Company's 'semi preserved' fleet, it was privately preserved between
2009 and 2017.
It has now returned to Delaines and is part of the Delaine Heritage Trust collection.
|Derby Corporation 111 (CRC 911) - 1952 Crossley DD42/8A, Brush
One of a batch of five, 8 ft wide, synchromesh gearbox Crossleys purchased in 1952 by Derby Corporation, a year when the Corporation's motor bus fleet consisted of a batch of Brush bodied Fodens, a batch of Crossleys, and the more traditional Daimlers. The Crossleys often appeared on driver training duties in their later years. After many years in preservation after withdrawal in 1970, No. 111 has now returned to its home city, and is in preservation Harpurs Coaches.
Corporation 33 (433 MDT) 1963 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/11, Roe single deck
One of a batch of five bought to follow an earlier batch of AEC Reliances, No. 33 was the only one of the batch never altered, and the only one not to received South Yorkshire PTE livery after Doncaster's operation passed to them in 1974. After withdrawal, No. 33 was loaned to and subsequently purchased by the Doncaster Omnibus and Light Railway Society. A restoration has been carried out in recent years. It is now resident at the Trolleybus Museum, Sandtoft
Corporation 122 (KDT 393) - 1951 AEC Regent III, Roe double deck
Sold by Doncaster Corporation after only 4 years service, this bus passed to local independent Blue Ensign. After withdrawal in 1967, this bus was later used for driver training. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
RL 516 (EPW 516K) - 1973 Bristol RELL, Eastern Coach Works single deck
This bus passed in 1984 to the the Cambridge based Cambus fleet when Eastern Counties was divided prior to deregulation, then in 1989 to the associated Peterborough area VIscount Bus & Coach. After sale in 1990, it saw further service with Johnsons Coaches (Hanslope), Buckinghamshire Road Car, then Blue Bus Services (Busways) in Tyne & Wear, prior to entering preservation in 1998.
It is now owned by the RL 516 Group, Norfolk
R726 TYC - 1998 Volvo B10M-62, Plaxton Premiere 320 coach
New to Smiths Coaches, Pylle, Somerset, this coach later moved to Dudley's Coaches, Radford, Worcs. It moved to the fleet of Fowler's Travel, Holbeach Drove, in 2017.
Cleethorpes Transport 113 (MBE 613R) - 1977 Leyland Fleetline, Roe double
One of a batch of six Leyland badged Fleetlines delivered in January 1977, the Roe bodied Fleetline being GCT's standard double deck bus from 1969 to 1980. No. 113 was later converted to open top form, and passed in to the Stagecoach East Midlands heritage fleet, often based at Chesterfield, but with some summer season returns to Cleethorpes. It entered private preservation in 2017.
owned by Mr G Lord, Lincs
Cleethorpes Transport 133 (NJV 995) - 1960 AEC Bridgemaster, Park Royal double
One of a batch of four standard Bridgemasters, No. 133 was rebuilt as an open top bus after an accident in 1974. The upper deck railings and wind shield had been new on a convertible open top Fleetline which became a permanent closed top bus. It entered service on Cleethorpes sea front services for the 1975 season, and received a special livery (which it has been restored to) in 1977 to mark HM The Queen's silver jubilee. After a spell in active preservation in Hampshire, including use as a political campaign bus, it returned to Lincolnshire under new ownership in 2015.
owned by Mr A Charles, Lincs
Transport 50 (TBC 50X) - 1982 Dennis Dominator, East Lancs double deck.
New in 1982, this bus passed with the rest of the Leicester undertaking in to the Leicester City Bus, GRT then First Bus identities. It later passed to First South Yorkshire where it was used as a driver training bus. It then passed in to preservation and has been restored to Leicester City Transport livery and condition.
Owned by the Leicester Transport Heritage Trust.
Corporation 1' (KW 474) - 1927 Leyland Lion PLSC1, Leyland single deck
New in 1927 to Messrs Blythe and Berwick, Bradford, passing with that company to West Yorkshire Road Car, then being sold for further service in Jersey. Withdrawn in 1959, this bus was chosen for preservation by the then recently formed LVVS, as an 'identical twin' of Lincoln's second 'No. 1' VL 300, and it has carried Lincoln livery since its restoration.
Corporation 5 (VL 1263) - 1929 Leyland Lion LT1, Applewhites single deck
Believed to be the only surviving bus with bodywork by Lincoln based Applewhites', this bus was first withdrawn from service in 1938, to be reinstated the following year because of the war-time shortage of buses, and kept in service until 1949. After 6 years' further use as a snow-plough, No. 5 was rescued from a scrap-yard to become the LVVS's first vehicle - it was extensively restored by Lincoln City Council in 1984-6.
Corporation 64 (BFE 419) - 1941 Leyland 'Titan' TD7, Roe double deck
No. 64 was new in 1941 to full pre-war specification as one of a batch of two, which started the long sequence of Roe bodied Leyland buses which made up most of Lincoln's purchases from 1946 to 1970. Withdrawn in 1962, No. 64 was bought for preservation by the late Mr Vincent LeTall, a founder member of the LVVS, and has subsequently passed to the Society. It currently carries the livery it carried between the late 40s and late 50s.
Corporation 89 (RFE 416) - 1961 Leyland 'Titan' PD2, Roe double deck
A late example with vacuum brakes and built to 7'6" width, originally delivered in a non standard shade of green, No. 89 survived to be Lincoln's last open platform bus in service in 1977, then entering preservation.
Road Car LO 603 / 1503 (B503 FFW) 1985 Leyland Olympian, ECW double deck
Road Car 705 (F105 XCW) - 1989 Volvo Citybus / Alexander double deck
| Lincolnshire 1045
(SVL 830R) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
New in 1977 as one of Lincolnshire's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker, No. 1045 served at a number of depots, including a spell in a special 'Newton Rider' livery for Grantham area services. No. 1045 was withdrawn in 1993 and began a second career as a driver training bus with Derby City Transport, passing to Arriva Derby. Withdrawn in 1999, it passed in to preservation, and after some years in 'National green' livery, it currently wears post privatisation green / white / yellow livery.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
| Lincolnshire 1063
(YVL 837S) - 1978 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
One of Lincolnshire Road Car's large fleet of Bristol LH buses, and carried a semi advertising livery for some time in the National Bus Company years. In 1987 it was hired to Maun of Mansfield. After being withdrawn in 1989, it moved to the north-east, and saw further service with the Tyne & Wear Omnibus Company then Blue Bus Services. From 1994 it became a driver training bus. The new century saw this bus return to Lincolnshire in preservation, and it has recently been returned to running order in National Bus green livery, and made its first 'service' appearance at our Easter 2017 event.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
(FW 5696) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
Leyland single deck buses were the mainstay of the pre-war Lincolnshire Road Car fleet, this bus (new as fleet number LT 368 with a Brush body) was one of the first batch of what became a fleet of 88 'Tiger' TS7 and TS8 models purchased in the mid 1930s, and were among the first buses in the County to be powered by an oil (diesel) rather than a petrol engine. A new Burlingham body was fitted in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1409 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired for preservation.
Owned by Mr J Marshall, Marshalls of Sutton on Trent Ltd
| Lincolnshire 1431
(CVL 850D) - 1966 Bristol RELH6G, ECW single deck
New to Lincolnshire Roadcar with 47 seat dual purpose bodywork, this coach spent much of its service life based at Skegness and Boston depots, for express service D (Skegness / Boston - London) as well as tours and excursions during the summer season, and was often transferred to Lincoln or stored out of service during the winter months. 1431 was the first vehicle in the Lincolnshire fleet to receive 'National Coach White' livery, in 1973. Its later years were in NBC 'local coach' / dual purpose green and white livery, as fleet no. 2231 mainly at Newark depot. In preservation since 1982, 1431 returned to the road in 2011
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
1958 (PFE 542V) - 1980 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
(OVL 465) - 1960 Bristol MW5G, ECW single deck
In service with Lincolnshire Road Car until 1977, this bus saw seasonal use for farm workers' transport in the York area until 1994, still carrying National Bus green livery. Acquired for preservation, it passed to its current owner in 1995 and was restored to Tillings green.
| Lincolnshire 2318
(LFW 326) - 1955 Bristol LD6B 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
An early example of the 'Lodekka' design that allowed adequate headroom in both decks, within a 13'6" height. This bus worked mainly from the Boston and Skegness depots until withdrawal in 1973, prior to being acquired for preservation by Vincent LeTall, one of the LVVS's founder members.
| Lincolnshire 2378
(OVL 473) - 1960 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
The 'FS' model was a later version of the 'Lodekka' design, and this is one of many specified by Lincolnshire (and neighbouring company 'Eastern Counties') with 5 cylinder engines. Withdrawn in 1977, 2378 ran for a year in service with J.P.Williamson of Gauldry, Newport-on-Tay before passing into private ownership. An unexpected return to passenger service came in 1986 with Stagecoach of Perth, followed by a spell with Stagecoach subsidiary Magic Bus in Glasgow, latterly as a driver training bus. In 1991 it returned to preservation, and is now owned by Mr I Rolley, Notts
| Lincolnshire 2494
(RFE 482) - 1961 Bristol SC4LK, ECW single deck
The SC was not very common among the 'Tilling' fleets, but Lincolnshire was the largest operator of the class, with 113 of the 323 built, the type being well suited to the rural network. 2494 was withdrawn from service in 1975, then running with Majestic, Barnsley. Later re-purchased by Lincolnshire Road Car for active preservation, it ran for some years with registration number NVL 165 before being re-united with its original number. Owned by Stagecoach in Lincolnshire.
RF 503 (MXX 480) - 1953 AEC Regal IV, Metro Cammell single deck
Delivered new to Sidcup Garage for route 241 in central bus form without platform doors, RF 503 was among the first batch of red RFs to be fitted with doors for 'one man operation' in 1959, although it was not used as such until 1965, after continuing in use as a crew bus at Uxbridge, Norbiton and Kingston garages. In OMO form, it ran at Loughton, Hounslow, Romford and Edgware garages until withdrawal in 1977. In preservation since, it has recently joined the fleet of Blackmore Commercials, Nottingham, where it joins a growing fleet of classic London buses which are also available for private hires.
RTL 1323 (MLL 685) - 1952 Leyland Titan 7RT, Park Royal double deck
Delivered new to Hackney garage for route 106, this bus was withdrawin in the 1960s as the Leyland engined version of the RT type was phased out of use. An early preserved bus, RTL 1323 was a frequent sight on the early 1970s rally scene in a Green Line livery never carried in service by RTLs. After a return to red livery, it entered active preservation in Hampshire, and has since passed to Blackmore Commercials, Nottingham, where it joins a fleet with two ex London Routemasters which are also available for hires.
Sutton on Trent B 101 (C434 HHL) - 1985 Bedford YNT / Plaxton Paramount single
This coach was new to Wainfleets, Nuneaton and later passed to Brookline, Kent. It has recently been restored by Marshalls of Sutton on Trent, to match one of the Company's first coaches - similar B675 EWE, also new to Wainfleets, and becoming B 31 in the Marshalls fleet in 1990, the fleet numbering sequence following on from that of Gash of Newark.
296 (DNU 20C) - 1965 Bristol MW6G / ECW single deck
New with 'dual purpose' seating to Midland General, this vehicle was transferred in 1968 to associated company Mansfield District Traction, then in 1975 under National Bus Company reorganisations to East Midland Motor Services. After withdrawal it passed to Griffiths Coaches, Llangristiolus for further service before entering preservation in the 1980s. It has since been restored to Midland General cream / blue livery.
Owned by Mr L Pestell, Derbys
|Midland Red 227
(JHA 227L) - 1973 Leyland Leopard, Marshall single deck
A 'dual purpose' example of Midland Red's S27 class single deck, a batch of 50 1973 models among over 500 Leyland Leopards bought by Midland Red. This vehicle spent most of its working life based at Shrewsbury, under Midland Red North ownership when the company was divided. Withdrawn in 1987, it passed in to preservation, and has been restored back to National Bus Company dual purpose livery.
Owned by Messrs Evans and Woods, Staffs
|Midland Red 5919
(RHA 919G) - 1968 BMMO S23 integral single deck
One of the last fully 'home made' single deck buses built by BMMO in their own workshops, with BMMO 10.5 litre engine and semi automatic gearbox. This bus saw service at Banbury, Malvern and Wellington prior to withdrawal in 1980. It entered preservation in 1981.
Owned by Mr C May, Leics.
Corporation 129 (VV 8934) - 1945 Daimler CWD6, Duple 'utility' double deck
A rare survivor of the wartime 'utility' specification buses built to a basic design requiring the minimum of materials and skilled labour. After a body rebuild in 1952, No. 129 ran in service until 1959 and was sold for scrap. After an amazing survival, 129 was bought for preservation in 1991, and moved to Lincolnshire in 2000. A long restoration was completed in 2011.
Corporation 154 (ANH 154) - 1947 Daimler CVG6, Northern Coachbuilders double
After withdrawal from regular service in 1964, No. 154 spent the late 1960s in use as a driver training vehicle. Other than use as a promotional vehicle in the mid 1970s, much of the 1970s and 80s was spent in storage. In 1990, it passed in to the care of the 154 Preservation Society who have undertaken a thorough restoration.
owned by Northampton Transport Heritage
|North Western 413
(JMA 413L) - 1972 Bristol RELH6L, ECW single deck.
The first of a batch of five RELH coaches for North Western, all of which passed to National Travel North West when the North Western operation was disbanded. Running in 'National Coach white' livery until 1983, this coach, along with three of the other four, passed to Peake & Cooke of Pontypool. After a spell in non PSV use, this coach passed in to preservation in 1993 and has since had a number of owners. Its present owner acquired it in 2014, and has recently carried out a full repaint.
Owned by B Sharpe, Derbys.
|Trent 274 (TCH
274L) - 1973 Bristol RELL / ECW single deck
274 was delivered new to Midland General's Alfreton depot in June 1973 wearing NBC Dual Purpose livery of white and red. Upon next repaint it carried the same livery with Trent fleet names and transferred to Langley Mill where it remained before being withdrawn and converted to an ambulance bus. It was then sold to Wythall museum where it was converted back to its original condition with parts from sister vehicle 286. The vehicle was purchased by group members from the museum. 274 is fitted with a 150hp Gardner engine.
Owned by Mr J Monk
| Tyne & Wear
413 (952 JUB) - 1964 AEC Regent V, Roe double deck
New to Leeds City Transport as No. 952, this bus passed via OK Motor Services to Tyne & Wear PTE in 1975, to meet what was expected to be a short term vehicle shortage. It ran until 1979, carrying mainly its Leeds livery with some panels painted yellow. It entered preservation after withdrawal, and has recently returned to the road carrying its Tyne & Wear livery.
|West Kent Buses
P112 RGS (former Delaine Buses 138) - 1997 Volvo B10B / Wright 'Endurance'
This bus was new to Sovereign, Hertfordshire as fleet no. 112. In 2003, it joined the fleet of Delaine Buses, Bourne after a comprehensive refurbishment in to Delaines' house style. In 2010, it passed to Quantock Motor Services, Somerset, where it ran in a red livery in Delaines' style. In 2014 it returned south to West Kent Buses of West Kingsdown for use mainly on school services. In 2017 it was purchased by the Eastern Bus Enthusiasts Group, with a view to restoration to Delaines livery.
|West Yorkshire PTE
'Metrocoach' 5504 (B144 RWY) - 1984 Leyland Olympian / Roe double deck
One of a batch of six delivered in 1984, 5504 was among the last Roe bodies built, albeit completed by Eastern Coach Works after the Roe works was closed, and is the latest surviving Roe built bus. It was new in 'Metrocoach' livery with dual purpose seating for private hires and express services, receiving Yorkshire Rider's 'Gold Rider' livery after privatisation. On withdrawal from First West Yorkshire's Bradford depot in 2008, it was the last remaining Roe bodied bus in the fleet. Passing in to preservation, it has been restored to its original livery.
Owned by Mr C Temple, Yorks.
Road Car 1356' (FRB 208H) - 1970 Bristol RELL6G, ECW single deck.
This dual door RE was new to Midland General as fleet no.146, and re-numbered 356 in 1972 by Trent, who had absorbed Midland General. After 13 years in service entirely from Mansfield depot, this bus became a mobile information centre, prior to sale in 1986 to Stockport Borough Council. Acquired for preservation in 2000, this bus has been restored to NBC red livery and is currently carrying West Yorkshire fleet names.
Owned by Mr J Schofield & Mr G Clark, Derby
| Western SMT S
2936 (DSD 936V) - 1979 Seddon Pennine VII, Alexander T Type coach
This coach first saw service at Stranraer depot. Following changes to the Scottish Bus Group, it passed in 1985 to Clydeside Scottish, returning to Western in 1988. It was withdrawn in 1997 under Stagecoach ownership, and was donated to the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum. A comprehensive restoration was carried out between 2004 and 2007.
Morecambe - TE 8318 - 1929 Chevrolet LQ Coach, Spicer
An American designed coach and the predecessor of the famous Bedford, this Chevrolet undertook daily tours during the summer season from Morecambe to the Lake District until the 1950's. Although generally in the condition in which it was last used, the coach has been thoroughly serviced and an electrical overhaul has been carried out.
We are most grateful to the owners of visiting vehicles.
page updated 14.12.17