Open Day - Sunday 16 April 2017 - The Vehicles
This lists the vehicles that we intend to
have on the road on Easter Sunday.
Update 13.4.17 - we regret that Browns Blue KLB 596 has had to withdraw from the event.
Update 14.4.17 - London Transport RF 202 and RTL 1256 added
NOTE - This list is provided in good faith, and does not include vehicles that are currently 'provisional'. However, it is never possible to give a categoric guarantee that all vehicles will be available for service on the morning of the event, or that they will complete their scheduled duty, and we reserve the right to substitute vehicles if necessary on the day.
VL 8960, 1937 Austin 10 saloon
right - CVL 212, 1947 Austin 10 saloon
TL 48, 1928 Austin 12 open tourer
right - JV 4936, 1936 Austin 18 saloon
left - FW 9805 - 1937 Ford V8 Shooting Brake
right - BUT 7 - 1939 SS Jaguar 2.5 Litre Saloon
Buses and Coaches
|Brutonian OVL 494
- 1960 Bristol SC4LK / Eastern Coach Works single deck
New as Lincolnshire Road Car No. 2485, this bus was one of Lincolnshire Road Car's large fleet of Bristol SC buses for rural services. Withdrawn in 1976, it saw further service with Phillips Motor Services, Holywell and Davies, Pontybodkin. After a spell in preservation, it re-entered PSV service in 2010 with Tillys Bus Company, on a seasonal service in Southwold.
Passing back in to preservation in 2015, it has been re-painted in the livery of Brutonian Bus Company, Somerset, who operated sister vehicle OVL 495 (which has not survived) from 1976 to 1982.
Owned by Mr P Welling, Sussex.
Corporation 122 (KDT 393) - 1951 AEC Regent III, Roe double deck
Sold by Doncaster Corporation after only 4 years service, this bus passed to local independent Blue Ensign. After withdrawal in 1967, this bus was later used for driver training. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
Cleethorpes Transport 133 (NJV 995) - 1960 AEC Bridgemaster, Park Royal double
One of a batch of four standard Bridgemasters, No. 133 was rebuilt as an open top bus after an accident in 1974. The upper deck railings and wind shield had been new on a convertible open top Fleetline which became a permanent closed top bus. It entered service on Cleethorpes sea front services for the 1975 season, and received a special livery (which it has been restored to) in 1977 to mark HM The Queen's silver jubilee. After a spell in active preservation in Hampshire, including use as a political campaign bus, it returned to Lincolnshire under new ownership in 2015.
owned by Mr A Charles, Lincs
Corporation 1' (KW 474) - 1927 Leyland Lion PLSC1, Leyland single deck
New in 1927 to Messrs Blythe and Berwick, Bradford, passing with that company to West Yorkshire Road Car, then being sold for further service in Jersey. Withdrawn in 1959, this bus was chosen for preservation by the then recently formed LVVS, as an 'identical twin' of Lincoln's second 'No. 1' VL 300, and it has carried Lincoln livery since its restoration.
Corporation 5 (VL 1263) - 1929 Leyland Lion LT1, Applewhites single deck
Believed to be the only surviving bus with bodywork by Lincoln based Applewhites', this bus was first withdrawn from service in 1938, to be reinstated the following year because of the war-time shortage of buses, and kept in service until 1949. After 6 years' use as a snow-plough, No. 5 was rescued from a scrap-yard to become the LVVS's first vehicle - it was extensively restored by Lincoln City Council in 1984-6.
Transport 45 (KTL 45Y) - 1982 Leyland Olympian ONLXB/2R, East Lancs double deck
One of a batch of three Bristol built Olympians, 45 was fitted with an electronic dot matrix destination display when new and received a special livery for the 'Birchwood Flyer' service. It was renumbered 645 when LCT was acquired by RoadCar in 1993 and was the sole remaining ex LCT vehicle to pass to Stagecoach in December 2005. Subsequently renumbered 14695 in February 2006, it was withdrawn from service in October 2006 and acquired for preservation. It now carries the livery in which it first entered service in 1982.
Corporation 64 (BFE 419) - 1941 Leyland 'Titan' TD7, Roe double deck
No. 64 was new in 1941 to full pre-war specification as one of a batch of two, which started the long sequence of Roe bodied Leyland buses which made up most of Lincoln's purchases from 1946 to 1970. Withdrawn in 1962, No. 64 was bought for preservation by the late Mr Vincent LeTall, a founder member of the LVVS, and has subsequently passed to the Society. It currently carries the livery it carried between the late 40s and late 50s.
Corporation 73 (UVL 873M) - 1973 Bristol RELL, Alexander single deck
New to City of Lincoln in 1973 as one of a batch of 12 REs. No. 73 was the first of the batch to be withdrawn, and passed to Birds' of Ongar, Essex in 1983. It later passed to Webb, Galleywood, Essex. By 1992 the bus was in the care of Craig Tilsley, engineers, in Staffordshire. After the bus came to the Society's attention in late 2000, Craig Tilsley donated the bus to the Society. An extensive restoration was carried out in 2010/11 by the transport team of the Lincolnshire Co-operative Society, as a community donation; and the bus has been on the road since spring 2011 in an advertsing livery for the Co-op, and attended many events as part of the Lincolnshire Co-op's 150th anniversary celebrations.
Corporation 89 (RFE 416) - 1961 Leyland 'Titan' PD2, Roe double deck
A late example with vacuum brakes and built to 7'6" width, originally delivered in a non standard shade of green, No. 89 survived to be Lincoln's last open platform bus in service in 1977, then entering preservation.
| Lincolnshire 1045
(SVL 830R) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
New in 1977 as one of Lincolnshire's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker, No. 1045 served at a number of depots, including a spell in a special 'Newton Rider' livery for Grantham area services. No. 1045 was withdrawn in 1993 and began a second career as a driver training bus with Derby City Transport, passing to Arriva Derby. Withdrawn in 1999, it passed in to preservation, and after some years in 'National green' livery, it currently wears post privatisation green / white / yellow livery.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
| Lincolnshire 1063
(YVL 837S) - 1978 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
One of Lincolnshire Road Car's large fleet of Bristol LH buses, and carried a semi advertising livery for some time in the National Bus Company years. In 1987 it was hired to Maun of Mansfield. After being withdrawn in 1989, it moved to the north-east, and saw further service with the Tyne & Wear Omnibus Company then Blue Bus Services. From 1994 it became a driver training bus. The new century saw this bus return to Lincolnshire in preservation, and it has recently been returned to running order in National Bus green livery, and it will be making its first 'service' appearance at the Easter event.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
picture shows similar bus
(FW 5696) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
Leyland single deck buses were the mainstay of the pre-war Lincolnshire Road Car fleet, this bus (new as fleet number LT 368 with a Brush body) was one of the first batch of what became a fleet of 88 'Tiger' TS7 and TS8 models purchased in the mid 1930s, and were among the first buses in the County to be powered by an oil (diesel) rather than a petrol engine. A new Burlingham body was fitted in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1409 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired for preservation.
Owned by Mr J Marshall, Marshalls of Sutton on Trent Ltd
| Lincolnshire 1411
(FW 5698) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
From the same batch of buses as 1409, this bus was new as fleet number LT 368, and similarly received a new Burlingham body in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1411 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired by the Societys founder member, the late Vincent LeTall, for preservation, and passed along with the rest of his vehicles to the Society.
| Lincolnshire 1431
(CVL 850D) - 1966 Bristol RELH6G, ECW single deck
New to Lincolnshire Roadcar with 47 seat dual purpose bodywork, this coach spent much of its service life based at Skegness and Boston depots, for express service D (Skegness / Boston - London) as well as tours and excursions during the summer season, and was often transferred to Lincoln or stored out of service during the winter months. 1431 was the first vehicle in the Lincolnshire fleet to receive 'National Coach White' livery, in 1973. Its later years were in NBC 'local coach' / dual purpose green and white livery, as fleet no. 2231 mainly at Newark depot. In preservation since 1982, 1431 returned to the road in 2011
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
1958 (PFE 542V) - 1980 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
(OVL 465) - 1960 Bristol MW5G, ECW single deck
In service with Lincolnshire Road Car until 1977, this bus saw seasonal use for farm workers' transport in the York area until 1994, still carrying National Bus green livery. Acquired for preservation, it passed to its current owner in 1995 and was restored to Tillings green.
| Lincolnshire 2318
(LFW 326) - 1955 Bristol LD6B 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
An early example of the 'Lodekka' design that allowed adequate headroom in both decks, within a 13'6" height. This bus worked mainly from the Boston and Skegness depots until withdrawal in 1973, prior to being acquired for preservation by Vincent LeTall, one of the LVVS's founder members.
| Lincolnshire 2378
(OVL 473) - 1960 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
The 'FS' model was a later version of the 'Lodekka' design, and this is one of many specified by Lincolnshire (and neighbouring company 'Eastern Counties') with 5 cylinder engines. Withdrawn in 1977, 2378 ran for a year in service with J.P.Williamson of Gauldry, Newport-on-Tay before passing into private ownership. An unexpected return to passenger service came in 1986 with Stagecoach of Perth, followed by a spell with Stagecoach subsidiary Magic Bus in Glasgow, latterly as a driver training bus. In 1991 it returned to preservation, and is now owned by Mr I Rolley, Notts
(DFE 963D) - 1966 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
No. 2537 was the last Lodekka bought new by Lincolnshire Road Car, and survived to be the company's last rear entrance bus in regular service, and was one of the three buses that operated on the last day of Lodekka operation in regular service at Scunthorpe in October 1982. In preservation (mainly in south west England) since then, 2537 returned to its home county in 2009.
Owned by Messrs Gallagher & Stopper, Lincs.
RF 202 (MLL 528 - new as MLL 589) - 1952 AEC Regal IV / Metro Cammell single
RF 202 was built to 'Green Line' specification for London Transport's limited stop services connecting the home counties with central London. In 1966, many Green Line RFs, now approaching 15 years old, were modernised for a further spell of front line service, receiving features including a curved windscreen and twin headlamps. In theory relegated to local bus work in the 1970s, RF 202 continued to perform frequently on Green Line route 725 in place of more modern coaches. The last RF in regualar service with London Country, this coach continued after 1979 in semi preservation with the company, passing to Kentish Bus when London Country was split up. Sold in to preservation in 1989, its original registration was lost, but it has since gained the registration number of a (since scrappped) similar vehicle. Recently in active retirement with Western Greyhound, it is now owned by London Routemaster Bus Company, Wisbech
photo of similar RF 281 by 'Martin49' on Flickr and used under Creative Commons
RTL 1256 (LYR 788) - 1951 Leyland PD2 / Park Royal double deck
RTL 1256, one of the Leyland engined variant of London's large RT class, was new in red livery for London 'central bus' services, and was one of a small number of RTLs to receive green 'country bus' livery in 1959. After a short period in service from Hatfield Garage, the green RTLs were transferred to driver training duties. After some time in preservation, it returned to PSV status with Imperial Buses, Essex, and in recent years has operated on London's streets as an emergency extra bus during Underground disruption. It is the only green RTL surviving.
Owned by London Routemaster Bus Company, Wisbech
Sutton on Trent B 101 (C434 HHL) - 1985 Bedford YNT / Plaxton Paramount single
This coach was new to Wainfleets, Nuneaton and later passed to Brookline, Kent. It has recently been restored by Marshalls of Sutton on Trent, to match one of the Company's first coaches - similar B675 EWE, also new to Wainfleets, and becoming B 31 in the Marshalls fleet in 1990, the fleet numbering sequence following on from that of Gash of Newark. B 101 has recently been restored.
|Southdown 677 (GUF
727) - 1947 Leyland 'Tiger' PS1, Eastern Coach Works single deck
New as fleet no. 1227, the Company's first post-war coach, for London - South Coast express services. In 1955, as newer coaches entered service, this vehicle was re-numbered, modified for bus work and allocated to Horsham. After withdrawal in 1960, 677 was used by a local charity for a few years, later being acquired by its present owners in 1973.
Owned by J & P Jefford, Lincs
| Tyne & Wear
413 (952 JUB) - 1964 AEC Regent V, Roe double deck
New to Leeds City Transport as No. 952, this bus passed via OK Motor Services to Tyne & Wear PTE in 1975, to meet what was expected to be a short term vehicle shortage. It ran until 1979, carrying mainly its Leeds livery with some panels painted yellow. It entered preservation after withdrawal, and has returned to the road this year after further restoration over recent years - this will be its first LVVS Open Day event. It is currently carrying its Tyne & Wear livery.
|York Pullman 64
(JDN 668) - 1954 AEC Regent III, Roe Double deck
No. 64 continued in service until 1971, after covering 840,000 miles in service, and twice having to be rebuilt after collisions with low bridges in the York area. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
We are most grateful to the owners of visiting vehicles.
page updated 14.4.17