Transport Festival - Easter Sunday 21 April 2019 - The Vehicles
This lists the vehicles that we intend to
be on the road on Easter Sunday.
Information updated 19 April (Leicester 225 was listed in error - Leicester 301 will be running. Apologies to owners of both vehicles!)
| left -
CVL 212, 1947 Austin 10 saloon
right - TL 48, 1928 Austin 12 open tourer
| left -
JV 4936, 1936 Austin 18 saloon
right - FW 9805, 1937 Ford V8 shooting brake
Buses and Coaches
Corporation 122 (KDT 393) - 1951 AEC Regent III, Roe double deck
Sold by Doncaster Corporation after only 4 years service, this bus passed to local independent Blue Ensign. After withdrawal in 1967, this bus was later used for driver training. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
National 1327 (ONO 59) - 1949 Bristol K5G, ECW double deck
S492 UAK - 1998 Dennis Javelin / Plaxton Premiere 320 coach
New as a mobile training unit to Spring IT Training, Hampshire, this vehicle later became a full PSV, in service with Abacus Coaches of South Witham, Lincs, by 2010. In early 2018, it joined the fleet of Fowlers Travel, Holbeach Drove, Lincs.
Cleethorpes Transport 57 (NAT 766A - originally TJV 100) - 1962 Daimler
CVG6-30, Roe double deck
The last in a long line of Daimler half cab buses bought by the Grimsby-Cleethorpes Joint Transport Committee and its constituent Cleethorpes Corporation, No. 57 fittingly survived to be the last such bus in regular service, prior to its withdrawal in 1981. It then passed in to non-PSV use in north Lincolnshire, including use as farm workers' transport as the 'Barton Berry Bus' in Barton on Humber. It entered preservation in 1989 by which time it had lost its original registration number.
owned by Messrs Hutchinson, Lincs
MW52 UCC - 2003 Dennis Dart SLF / Plaxton Pointer 2 single deck
This vehicle spent its PSV career with Hattons Travel of St Helens. On withdrawal in 2019, the red 'skirt' and fleetnames were removed before it was sold for preservation and it is currently in plain white livery.
owned by Busflix Films, S Yorkshire
|Kingston on Hull
520 (SAG 520W) 1981 MCW Metrobus double deck
After passing with the Kingston on Hull municipal operation to Stagecoach, 520 was withdrawn in 1998 and passed to Ensignbus' London Pride sightseeing operation, then to Imperial Buses of Essex. After withdrawal, it entered preservation in 2002. It passed to its current owner in 2012 and has been restored it to original KHCT livery.
Owned by Mr A Fenton, Notts
Transport 301 (GFJ 301N) - 1975 Scania / MCW Metropolitan double deck
Leicester bought 68 Metropolitans during the 1970s, No. 301 was the first to receive the 1980s red, white and grey livery. Withdrawal in 1992 was postponed due to competitive activity in the City, and No. 301 ran until 1993 when it was purchased for preservation. A full restoration was carried out in 2000 by Yeates of Loughborough. It passed to its current owner in 2016.
Owned by Mr M Webster, Leics, this vehicle is associated with the Leicester Transport Heritage Trust.
Corporation 1' (KW 474) - 1927 Leyland Lion PLSC1, Leyland single deck
New in 1927 to Messrs Blythe and Berwick, Bradford, passing with that company to West Yorkshire Road Car, then being sold for further service in Jersey. Withdrawn in 1959, this bus was chosen for preservation by the then recently formed LVVS, as an 'identical twin' of Lincoln's second 'No. 1' VL 300, and it has carried Lincoln livery since its restoration.
Corporation 5 (VL 1263) - 1929 Leyland Lion LT1, Applewhites single deck
Believed to be the only surviving bus with bodywork by Lincoln based Applewhites', this bus was first withdrawn from service in 1938, to be reinstated the following year because of the war-time shortage of buses, and kept in service until 1949. After 6 years' further use as a snow-plough, No. 5 was rescued from a scrap-yard to become the LVVS's first vehicle - it was extensively restored by Lincoln City Council in 1984-6.
Transport 45 (KTL 45Y) - 1982 Leyland Olympian ONLXB/2R, East Lancs double deck
One of a batch of three Bristol built Olympians, 45 was fitted with an electronic dot matrix destination display when new and received a special livery for the 'Birchwood Flyer' service. It was renumbered 645 when LCT was acquired by RoadCar in 1993 and was the sole remaining ex LCT vehicle to pass to Stagecoach in December 2005. Subsequently renumbered 14695 in February 2006, it was withdrawn from service in October 2006 and acquired for preservation. It now carries the livery in which it first entered service in 1982.
Corporation 73 (UVL 873M) - 1973 Bristol RELL, Alexander single deck
New to City of Lincoln in 1973 as one of a batch of 12 REs. No. 73 was the first of the batch to be withdrawn, and passed to Birds' of Ongar, Essex in 1983. It later passed to Webb, Galleywood, Essex. By 1992 the bus was in the care of Craig Tilsley, engineers, in Staffordshire. After the bus came to the Society's attention in late 2000, Craig Tilsley donated the bus to the Society. An extensive restoration was carried out in 2010/11 by the transport team of the Lincolnshire Co-operative Society, as a community donation; and the bus has been on the road since spring 2011 in an advertsing livery for the Co-op, and attended many events as part of the Lincolnshire Co-op's 150th anniversary celebrations.
Corporation 89 (RFE 416) - 1961 Leyland 'Titan' PD2, Roe double deck
A late example with vacuum brakes and built to 7'6" width, originally delivered in a non standard shade of green, No. 89 survived to be Lincoln's last open platform bus in service in 1977, then entering preservation.
(FFU 860) - 1949 AEC Regal III, Willowbrook single deck
Ordered by Enterprise Passenger Services, Scunthorpe, but delivered after Road Car had acquired the Company. This bus ran briefly in Enterprise's red/cream livery (and as far as we are aware, without fleetnames) prior to repaint into Tillings green livery. After non-public use, this bus came to preservation in the early 1970s.
| Lincolnshire 1045
(SVL 830R) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
New in 1977 as one of Lincolnshire's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker, No. 1045 served at a number of depots, including a spell in a special 'Newton Rider' livery for Grantham area services. No. 1045 was withdrawn in 1993 and began a second career as a driver training bus with Derby City Transport, passing to Arriva Derby. Withdrawn in 1999, it passed in to preservation, and after some years in 'National green' livery, it currently wears post privatisation green / white / yellow livery.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
| Lincolnshire 1056
(XFW 951S) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
One of Lincolnshire Road Car's large fleet of Bristol LH buses, this bus continued in Lincolnshire service until 1994. It then passed to Derby City Transport for use as a driver training bus. It returned to passenger service with Hunts of Alford, Lincs, where it ran from 1995 to 2002. After entering preservation, it has been returned to National Bus green livery.
Owned by Lincs Rural Bus Group
(YVL 837S) - 1978 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
One of Lincolnshire Road Car's large fleet of Bristol LH buses, and carried a semi advertising livery for some time in the National Bus Company years. In 1987 it was hired to Maun of Mansfield. After being withdrawn in 1989, it moved to the north-east, and saw further service with the Tyne & Wear Omnibus Company then Blue Bus Services. From 1994 it became a driver training bus. The new century saw this bus return to Lincolnshire in preservation, and it has recently been returned to running order in National Bus green livery.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
(FW 5696) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
Leyland single deck buses were the mainstay of the pre-war Lincolnshire Road Car fleet, this bus (new as fleet number LT 368 with a Brush body) was one of the first batch of what became a fleet of 88 'Tiger' TS7 and TS8 models purchased in the mid 1930s, and were among the first buses in the County to be powered by an oil (diesel) rather than a petrol engine. A new Burlingham body was fitted in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1409 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired for preservation.
Owned by Mr J Marshall, Marshalls of Sutton on Trent Ltd
(FW 5698) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
From the same batch of buses as 1409, this bus was new as fleet number LT 368, and similarly received a new Burlingham body in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1411 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired by the Societys founder member, the late Vincent LeTall, for preservation, and passed along with the rest of his vehicles to the Society.
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
| Lincolnshire 2318
(LFW 326) - 1955 Bristol LD6B 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
An early example of the 'Lodekka' design that allowed adequate headroom in both decks, within a 13'6" height. This bus worked mainly from the Boston and Skegness depots until withdrawal in 1973, prior to being acquired for preservation by Vincent LeTall, one of the LVVS's founder members.
| Lincolnshire 2378
(OVL 473) - 1960 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
The 'FS' model was a later version of the 'Lodekka' design, and this is one of many specified by Lincolnshire (and neighbouring company 'Eastern Counties') with 5 cylinder engines. Withdrawn in 1977, 2378 ran for a year in service with J.P.Williamson of Gauldry, Newport-on-Tay before passing into private ownership. An unexpected return to passenger service came in 1986 with Stagecoach of Perth, followed by a spell with Stagecoach subsidiary Magic Bus in Glasgow, latterly as a driver training bus. In 1991 it returned to preservation, and is now owned by Mr I Rolley, Notts
RT 786 (JXC 149) - 1948 AEC Regent / RT, Park Royal double deck
New with a 'roofbox' body to Mortlake Garage, this bus received its current chassis / body combination in 1968. It was withdrawn from passenger service in 1978, having spent its last years at Bromley garage. After a short spell as a driver training bus, it was sold to its present owner in 1979 for preservation and has since been returned to full PSV status and one of a fleet of former London buses available for hire.
Owned by London Routemaster Bus Company, Wisbech
RTL 1256 (LYR 788) - 1951 Leyland PD2, Park Royal double deck
RTL 1256, one of the Leyland engined variant of London's large RT class, was new in red livery for London 'central bus' services, and was one of a small number of RTLs to receive green 'country bus' livery in 1959. After a short period in service from Hatfield Garage, the green RTLs were transferred to driver training duties. After some time in preservation, it returned to PSV status with Imperial Buses, Essex, and in recent years has operated on London's streets as an emergency extra bus during Underground disruption. It is the only green RTL surviving.
Owned by London Routemaster Bus Company, Wisbech
Sutton on Trent B 101 (C434 HHL) - 1985 Bedford YNT / Plaxton Paramount single
This coach was new to Wainfleets, Nuneaton and later passed to Brookline, Kent. It passed to Marshalls of Sutton on Trent in 2015 and was restored to match one of the Company's first coaches - similar B675 EWE, also new to Wainfleets, and becoming B 31 in the Marshalls fleet in 1990, the fleet numbering sequence following on from that of Gash of Newark.
Corporation 129 (VV 8934) - 1945 Daimler CWD6, Duple 'utility' double deck
A rare survivor of the wartime 'utility' specification buses built to a basic design requiring the minimum of materials and skilled labour. After a body rebuild in 1952, No. 129 ran in service until 1959 and was sold for scrap. After an amazing survival, 129 was bought for preservation in 1991, and moved to Lincolnshire in 2000. A long restoration was completed in 2011.
| Tyne & Wear
413 (952 JUB) - 1964 AEC Regent V, Roe double deck
New to Leeds City Transport as No. 952, this bus passed via OK Motor Services to Tyne & Wear PTE in 1975, to meet what was expected to be a short term vehicle shortage. It ran until 1979, carrying mainly its Leeds livery with some panels painted yellow. It entered preservation after withdrawal, and after a few years out of action, returned to the road in 2014 carrying its Tyne & Wear livery.
Services BG 147 (FHN 833) - 1940 Bristol L5G, ECW single deck
New largely to pre-war specification, the bodywork was built at Irthlingborough, Eastern Coach Works having been evacuated from Lowestoft. Following a body swap with similar bus in 1947, this bus visited ECW's Lowestoft works for a rebuild in 1951. Withdrawn in 1957, it passed to Alexander (Greyhound) of Sheffield, and used mainly for contract services from the Lincoln area to power stations then under construction in the Trent Valley. Withdrawn in 1963, it was acquired by the LVVS. Attempts at restoration in the 1970s came to a halt due to the intricate curved wooden body frame, and restoration did not re-start until the late 1990s. Completion - and its first MOT since 1963 - came in late 2018.
Morecambe - TE 8318 - 1929 Chevrolet LQ Coach, Spicer
An American designed coach and the predecessor of the famous Bedford, this Chevrolet undertook daily tours during the summer season from Morecambe to the Lake District until the 1950's. Although generally in the condition in which it was last used, the coach has been thoroughly serviced and an electrical overhaul has been carried out.
|York Pullman 64
(JDN 668) - 1954 AEC Regent III, Roe Double deck
No. 64 continued in service until 1971, after covering 840,000 miles in service, and twice having to be rebuilt after collisions with low bridges in the York area. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
NOTE - This list is provided in good faith and does not include vehicles that are still 'provisional' or that are still subject to repairs / MOT test etc.
However, it is never possible to give categoric guarantees, and we can not promise that all vehicles listed will run in service, and reserve the right to substitute vehicles on the day. Where any withdrawals are made known to us in advance of the event, this page will be updated.
We are most grateful to the owners of visiting vehicles.
page updated 19.4.19