Open Day - Sunday 27 March 2016 - The Vehicles
AGO 903, 1933 Austin Seven saloon
right - VL 8960, 1937 Austin 10 saloon
CVL 212, 1947 Austin 10 saloon
right - TL 48, 1928 Austin 12 open tourer
JV 4936, 1936 Austin 18 saloon
right - FW 9805 - 1937 Ford V8 Shooting Brake
BUT 7 - 1939 SS Jaguar 2.5 Litre
The Buses and Coaches
(Morley) 577 (N577 EUG) - 1996 Mercedes-Benz 0405, Optare Prisma single deck
This chassis was in production from 1983, deisgned as a standard 'city bus' to German standards. A number were built for the UK market before the model was replaced with the low floor Citaro. This bus was ordered new by West Yorkshire independent Black Prince, and later ran with Red Kite, St Helens. After entering preservation, it has been restored to Black Prince livery.
owned by Mr B McMullan, Yorks.
Corporation 4 (OHK 432) - 1949 Daimler CVD6, Roberts double deck
One of five Roberts bodied Daimlers delivered to Colchester - an unusual choice of bus body builder, Roberts were more commonly associated with railway vehicles and occasional trams. Withdrawn in 1968, this bus passed through the hands of number of preservationists prior to restoration at the LVVS in 1998-9.
Corporation 122 (KDT 393) - 1951 AEC Regent III, Roe double deck
Sold by Doncaster Corporation after only 4 years service, this bus passed to local independent Blue Ensign. After withdrawal in 1967, this bus was later used for driver training. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
A475 TBX - 1984 Volvo B10M, Plaxton Paramount 3200 coach
New to Jones, Login (Carmarthenshire), this coach later moved to Rhodri Evans / Ffoshelig Coaches. It passed in 2015 to the heritage fleet of Fowler's Travel, Holbeach Drove, and retains PSV status.
|Grey Green G661 WMD
- 1989 Leyland Tiger, Plaxton Paramount 3200 coach
This coach was new to Leaside Travel, London, one of the many former London Buses operators who diversified in to private hire operation. It passed in 2005 to Village Coaches, Shoreham. In preservation, it has been restored to represent the fleet of London coach operator Grey Green.
Owned by Mr N Merryweather, Cambs - as part of the Eastern Bus Group collection.
Transport 57 (NAT 766A - originally TJV 100) - 1962 Daimler CVG6-30, Roe double
The last in a long line of Daimler half cab buses bought by the Grimsby-Cleethorpes Joint Transport Committee and its constituent Cleethorpes Corporation, No. 57 fittingly survived to be the last such bus in regular service, prior to its withdrawal in 1981. It then passed in to non-PSV use in north Lincolnshire, including use as farm workers' transport as the 'Barton Berry Bus' in Barton on Humber. It entered preservation in 1989 by which time it had lost its original registration number. It has recently changed hands to new owners and made its LVVS 'service' debut at this event. owned by Messrs Hutchinson, Lincs
Transport 133 (NJV 995) - 1960 AEC Bridgemaster, Park Royal double deck
One of a batch of four standard Bridgemasters, No. 133 was rebuilt as an open top bus after an accident in 1974. The upper deck railings and wind shield had been new on a convertible open top Fleetline which became a permanent closed top bus. It entered service on Cleethorpes sea front services for the 1975 season, and received a special livery (which it has been restored to) in 1977 to mark HM The Queen's silver jubilee. In recent years it has been in active preservation in Hampshire following a spell in use as UKIP's campaign bus. It returned to Lincolnshire under new ownership in 2015.
owned by Mr A Charles, Lincs
Transport 301 (GFJ 301N) - 1975 Scania / MCW Metropolitan double deck
Leicester bought 68 Metropolitans during the 1970s, No. 301 was the first to receive the 1980s red, white and grey livery. Withdrawal in 1992 was postponed due to competitive activity in the City, and No. 301 ran until 1993 when it was purchased for preservation. A full restoration was carried out in 2000 by Yeates of Loughborough.
Owned by Mr A Harris, Leics, this vehicle is associated with the Leicester Transport Heritage Trust.
Corporation 1' (KW 474) - 1927 Leyland Lion PLSC1, Leyland single deck
New in 1927 to Messrs Blythe and Berwick, Bradford, passing with that company to West Yorkshire Road Car, then being sold for further service in Jersey. Withdrawn in 1959, this bus was chosen for preservation by the then recently formed LVVS, as an 'identical twin' of Lincoln's second 'No. 1' VL 300, and it has carried Lincoln livery since its restoration.
5 (VL 1263) - 1929 Leyland Lion LT1, Applewhites single deck
Believed to be the only surviving bus with bodywork by Lincoln based Applewhites', this bus was first withdrawn from service in 1938, to be reinstated the following year because of the war-time shortage of buses, and kept in service until 1949. After 6 years' use as a snow-plough, No. 5 was rescued from a scrap-yard to become the LVVS's first vehicle - it was extensively restored by Lincoln City Council in 1984-6.
Transport 45 (KTL 45Y) - 1982 Leyland Olympian ONLXB/2R, East Lancs double deck
One of a batch of three Bristol built Olympians, 45 was fitted with an electronic dot matrix destination display when new and received a special livery for the 'Birchwood Flyer' service. It was renumbered 645 when LCT was acquired by RoadCar in 1993 and was the sole remaining ex LCT vehicle to pass to Stagecoach in December 2005. Subsequently renumbered 14695 in February 2006, it was withdrawn from service in October 2006 and acquired for preservation. It now carries the livery in which it first entered service in 1982.
64 (BFE 419) - 1941 Leyland 'Titan' TD7, Roe double deck
New in 1941 to full pre-war specification. Withdrawn in 1962, No. 64 was bought for preservation by the late Mr Vincent LeTall, a founder member of the LVVS, and has subsequently passed to the Society. It currently carries the livery it carried between the late 40s and late 50s.
73 (UVL 873M) - 1973 Bristol RELL, Alexander single deck
New to City of Lincoln in 1973 as one of a batch of 12 REs. No. 73 was the first of the batch to be withdrawn, and passed to Birds' of Ongar, Essex in 1983. It later passed to Webb, Galleywood, Essex. By 1992 the bus was in the care of Craig Tilsley, engineers, in Staffordshire. After the bus came to the Society's attention in late 2000, Craig Tilsley donated the bus to the Society. An extensive restoration was carried out in 2010/11 by the transport team of the Lincolnshire Co-operative Society, as a community donation; and the bus has been on the road since spring 2011 in an advertising livery for the Co-op, and attended many events as part of the Lincolnshire Co-op's 150th anniversary celebrations.
(FFU 860) - 1949 AEC Regal III, Willowbrook single deck (dual purpose)
Ordered by Enterprise Passenger Services, Scunthorpe, but delivered after Road Car had acquired the Company. This bus ran briefly in Enterprise's red/cream livery (and as far as we are aware, without fleetnames) prior to repaint into Tillings green livery. After non-public use, this bus came to preservation in the early 1970s.
| Lincolnshire 1045
(SVL 830R) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
New in 1977 as one of Lincolnshire's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker, No. 1045 served at a number of depots, including a spell in a special 'Newton Rider' livery for Grantham area services. No. 1045 was withdrawn in 1993 and began a second career as a driver training bus with Derby City Transport, passing to Arriva Derby. Withdrawn in 1999, it passed in to preservation, and after some years in 'National green' livery, it has recently been repainted in post privatisation green / white / yellow. Owned by M Wilkinson, Lincs
| Lincolnshire 1411
(FW 5698) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
Leyland single deck buses were the mainstay of the pre-war Lincolnshire Road Car fleet, this bus (new as fleet number LT 370 with a Brush body) being one of 88 'Tiger' TS7 and TS8 models purchased in the mid 1930s, and was one of the first buses in the County to be powered by an oil (diesel) rather than a petrol engine. A new Burlingham body was fitted in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1411 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired by the Societys founder member, the late Vincent LeTall, for preservation, and passed along with the rest of his vehicles to the Society.
Road Car 1503 / LO 603 (B503 FFW) 1985 Leyland Olympian, ECW double deck
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
1958 (PFE 542V) - 1980 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
| Lincolnshire 2318
(LFW 326) - 1955 Bristol LD6B 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
An early example of the 'Lodekka' design that allowed adequate headroom in both decks, within a 13'6" height. This bus worked mainly from the Boston and Skegness depots until withdrawal in 1973, prior to being acquired for preservation by Vincent LeTall, one of the LVVS's founder members.
No. 2318 has returned to the road this year after a few years out of action with rear axle problems.
| Lincolnshire 2378
(OVL 473) - 1960 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
The 'FS' model was a later version of the 'Lodekka' design, and this is one of many specified by Lincolnshire (and neighbouring company 'Eastern Counties') with 5 cylinder engines. Withdrawn in 1977, 2378 ran for a year in service with J.P.Williamson of Gauldry, Newport-on-Tay before passing into private ownership. An unexpected return to passenger service came in 1986 with Stagecoach of Perth, followed by a spell with Stagecoach subsidiary Magic Bus in Glasgow, latterly as a driver training bus. In 1991 it returned to preservation, and is now owned by Mr M Rolley, Bucks
|London Transport RT
786 (JXC 149) - 1948 AEC Regent / RT, Park Royal double deck
New with a 'roofbox' body to Mortlake Garage, this bus received its current chassis / body combination in 1968. It was withdrawn from passenger service in 1978, having spent its last years at Bromley garage. After a short spell as a driver training bus, it was sold to its present owner in 1979 for preservation and has since been returned to full PSV status.
Owned by London Routemaster Bus Company, Wisbech
|Marshalls of Sutton
on Trent B 101 (C434 HHL) - 1985 Bedford YNT / Plaxton Paramount single deck
This coach was new to Wainfleets, Nuneaton and later passed to Brookline, Kent. It was restored by Marshalls of Sutton on Trent, to match one of the Company's first coaches - similar B675 EWE, also new to Wainfleets, and becoming B 31 in the Marshalls fleet in 1990, the fleet numbering sequence following on from that of Gash of Newark. B 101 took to the road in 2015 with full PSV status and is available for hires.
Corporation 129 (VV 8934) - 1945 Daimler CWD6, Duple 'utility' double deck
A rare survivor of the wartime 'utility' specification buses built to a basic design requiring the minimum of materials and skilled labour. After a body rebuild in 1952, No. 129 ran in service until 1959 and was sold for scrap. After an amazing survival, 129 was bought for preservation in 1991, and moved to Lincolnshire in 2000. A long restoration was completed in 2011.
|Trent 356 (FRB
208H) - 1970 Bristol RELL6G, ECW single deck.
This dual door RE was new to Midland General as fleet no.146, and re-numbered 356 in 1972 by Trent, who had absorbed Midland General. After 13 years in service entirely from Mansfield depot, this bus became a mobile information centre, prior to sale in 1986 to Stockport Borough Council. Acquired for preservation in 2000, this bus has been restored to NBC red livery and currently carries its Trent identity after some time with Midland General fleetnames.
Owned by Mr J Schofield & Mr G Clark, Derby
| Tyne & Wear
413 (952 JUB) - 1964 AEC Regent V, Roe double deck
New to Leeds City Transport as No. 952, this bus passed via OK Motor Services to Tyne & Wear PTE in 1975, to meet what was expected to be a short term vehicle shortage. It ran until 1979, carrying mainly its Leeds livery with some panels painted yellow. It entered preservation after withdrawal, and returned to the road in 2014 after further restoration, currently carrying its Tyne & Wear livery.
Morecambe - TE 8318 - 1929 Chevrolet LQ Coach, Spicer
An American designed coach and the predecessor of the famous Bedford, this Chevrolet undertook daily tours during the summer season from Morecambe to the Lake District until the 1950's. Although generally in the condition in which it was last used, the coach has been thoroughly serviced and an electrical overhaul has been carried out.
|York Pullman 64
(JDN 668) - 1954 AEC Regent III, Roe Double deck
No. 64 continued in service until 1971, after covering 840,000 miles in service, and twice having to be rebuilt after collisions with low bridges in the York area. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
We are most grateful to the owners of visiting vehicles.
page updated 20.4.16