FE 9852 - 1927 Humber 14/40
The Humber Cycle Company was established in Sheffield in 1868, and expanded rapidly in the later part of the 19th Century. Its first motor car was built in 1899, and production of motor cars was concentrated at its Coventry works.
In the 1920s, it took over the Commer company, but by the end of the decade, became part of the Rootes Group.
This is an example of the 14/40 model that was made between 1926 and 1929. The model was also available as a tourer and a 'fabric saloon', although 2 seater sports versions and coupes were also built. This contemporary advert (on the Graces Guide website) suggests a list price of £ 555.
This original Lincoln car was sold by Stocks of Lincoln in January 1928.The car was first restored in 1958 after being found in a barn at South Clifton when it was bought from the first owner for just £15.
The car was in daily use during the 1960's as the main as the main family vehicle with only minor repair work and a respray being undertaken since. It is frequently on the road and offering rides at our Museum Open Day events.
|interior and engine views|
The Humber Register