LVVS comes to Grantham
Saturday 14 September 2019
Lincolnshire's 'Tillings' green buses will be back on the streets of Grantham on Saturday 14 September.
Buses will be on display at Grantham Bus Station thanks to the generosity of Centrebus.
Our buses will be operating a free service every 20 minutes on route 1 from Grantham Bus Station to Barkston via Syston, returning via Belton - photograph opportunities should be available at these villages.
First departure from Grantham Bus Station will be at 10.30 am, last departure at 2.50 pm - journey time approximately 25 minutes each way.
Travel on our buses is free, although we can not guarantee space on each journey and reserve right of admission to our buses. Please note - dogs (other than assistance dogs) can not be carried.
Bus workers present and past and their families are most welcome - feel free to bring along any old photographs, memorabilia and memories of the 'Lincolnshire' buses or other local operators.
Our thanks to South Kesteven District Council / Invest SK for their assistance and co-operation with the event.
We intend the following buses to be running (there may be one or two late additions)-
Road Car LO 603 / 1503 (B503 FFW) 1985 Leyland Olympian, ECW double deck
| Lincolnshire 1045
(SVL 830R) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
New in 1977 as one of Lincolnshire's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker, No. 1045 served at a number of depots, including a spell in a special 'Newton Rider' livery for Grantham area services. No. 1045 was withdrawn in 1993 and began a second career as a driver training bus with Derby City Transport, passing to Arriva Derby. Withdrawn in 1999, it passed in to preservation, and after some years in 'National green', it currently wears post privatisation green / white / yellow livery.
(FW 5698) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
From the same batch of buses as 1409, this bus was new as fleet number LT 368, and similarly received a new Burlingham body in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1411 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired by the Societys founder member, the late Vincent LeTall, for preservation, and passed along with the rest of his vehicles to the Society.
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
(OVL 465) - 1960 Bristol MW5G, ECW single deck
In service with Lincolnshire Road Car until 1977, this bus saw seasonal use for farm workers' transport in the York area until 1994, still carrying National Bus green livery. Acquired for preservation, it passed to its current owner in 1995 and was restored to Tillings green.
| Lincolnshire 2318
(LFW 326) - 1955 Bristol LD6B 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
An early example of the 'Lodekka' design that allowed adequate headroom in both decks, within a 13'6" height. This bus worked mainly from the Boston and Skegness depots until withdrawal in 1973, prior to being acquired for preservation by Vincent LeTall, one of the LVVS's founder members.
| Lincolnshire 2378
(OVL 473) - 1960 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
The 'FS' model was a later version of the 'Lodekka' design, and this is one of many specified by Lincolnshire (and neighbouring company 'Eastern Counties') with 5 cylinder engines. Withdrawn in 1977, 2378 ran for a year in service with J.P.Williamson of Gauldry, Newport-on-Tay before passing into private ownership. An unexpected return to passenger service came in 1986 with Stagecoach of Perth, followed by a spell with Stagecoach subsidiary Magic Bus in Glasgow, latterly as a driver training bus. In 1991 it returned to preservation, and having been based at Boston depot for much of its service life, it has been restored with the Oldrids advertisement it carried in service.
(DFE 963D) - 1966 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
No. 2537 was the last Lodekka bought new by Lincolnshire Road Car, and survived to be the company's last rear entrance bus in regular service, and was one of the three buses that operated on the last day of Lodekka operation in regular service at Scunthorpe in October 1982. In preservation (mainly in south west England) since then, 2537 returned to its home county in 2009.
BUS SERVICE - NOTES
Please be aware that most of our historic vehicles were not designed with modern levels of access in mind, and do not have space for unfolded wheelchairs (or baby buggies / push-chairs), but our conductors will offer what help they can.
We will make every effort to run the vehicles and services listed, but reserve the right to substitute or withdraw vehicles / journeys if circumstances dictate.
page updated 10.9.19