JV 4936 - 1936 Austin 18 York Saloon
The Austin Motor Company was founded in 1905 by Herbert Austin, and a plant at Longbridge, Worcestershire (later in Birmingham) was established. The company was merged in 1952 into the British Motor Corporation Ltd.
The Austin 16 saloon was introduced in 1927, and in 1934, the larger Austin 18, with 2511cc side-valve straight six engine, was added to the range. The 18 was available in short ('Hertford') or long ('York') wheelbase variants. The top of the range 'Chalfont' included a division to offer the rear seat passengers more privacy from the hearing of the chauffeur. Automatic "self selector" gearboxes were an optional extra.
This example features the standard four speed synchromesh manual transmission, a sliding roof, and light brown hide trim. A 1937 advert (on the Grace's Guide website) targets "men in the business and professional worlds" as customers for this model.
This car was first registered on 20 August 1936 with Grimsby Borough Council and cost £328 when new. It was supplied by the local Austin dealer, Grimsby Motors of Eleanor Street, Grimsby and used by their Manager, Mr Gillott. Mr LeTall one of our founder members, acquired it for his collection in September 1969 from Fred Lloyd (Motors) Ltd of Nuns Corner, Grimsby for the sum of £450.
It is in largely original but thoroughly roadworthy condition and is testimony to the build quality of the pre-war British motorcar, and is a consistent and reliable perfomer offering rides at our Transport Festival events and is often available for hire for weddings etc.
October 2010 - The York attended the Rauceby War Weekend event at the end of August.
January 2014 - The seats were still at the trimmers, and a repair price awaited.
July 2014 - The 18 has had its rear brake shoes re-lined and a hub seal replaced.
January 2018 - The Austin 18 is now having its long awaited new wiring loom fitted.
page updated 3.2.18