KDT 393 - 1951 AEC Regent III
Roe H31/25R body
Doncaster Corporation 122
This bus has a 9.6 litre AEC engine (the larger option available from AEC at the time) and a sliding mesh gearbox. The traditional Yorkshire choice of bodywork from Charles H Roe of Leeds had a number of unusual features, including an unusual platform step arrangement, a Potts Patent air exchanger and Siddall-More staggered seats.
It was sold on in 1955; the official reason for its early demise being its 8ft wide bodywork was too wide for the towns narrow streets. A local independent, Blue Ensign, snapped up the bus and proceeded to use it on those same streets for some years - although possibly not on some 'back street' services. A photograph of this bus in service with Blue Ensign can be seen on the 'sct 61' web site.
In 1961, KDT was badly damaged in an accident with a lorry on the Great North Road and was returned to Roes for rebuilding. The final part of its working life was spent with the Basford Driving School in Nottingham from 1967 to 1971, after which KDT was acquired for preservation, passing to Tony Peart in a derelict condition in 1980.
Tony Peart was a very well known and widely respected figure in the preservation movement. The standard of restoration plus ongoing care lavished upon these buses (see also York Pullman 64) over the years has set a gold standard for other preservationists to try and emulate. Tony was a long-standing member and enthusiastic supporter of the LVVS and the Society was honoured to have these two fine vehicles bequeathed to us upon his death in 2006.
|KDT 393 in service as Doncaster 122 - (LVVS Collection - photographer unknown.)||Platform of Doncaster 122.||Lower Saloon of Doncaster 122 - showing "Siddall More" seats.|
January 2010 - No. 122 was MOT tested in time for the November 2009 Open Day.
January 2011 - A 'sort out' in the front destination box has now enabled the blind to be wound both ways! A set of new batteries have been fitted. (2x12 volt)