Transport Festival - Sunday 1 April 2018 - The Vehicles
This lists the vehicles that were on the
road on Easter Sunday.
| left -
AGO 903, 1933 Austin Seven saloon
right - VL 8960, 1937 Austin 10 saloon
| left -
CVL 212, 1947 Austin 10 saloon
right - TL 48, 1928 Austin 12 open tourer
FW 9805, 1937 Ford V8 shooting brake
right - BUT 7 - 1939 SS Jaguar 2.5 Litre Saloon
Buses and Coaches
Dept 023 (KW 7604) - 1930 Leyland Badger / Plaxton single deck
The Badger was principally a goods chassis whilst the bodywork is the oldest Plaxton bus body in existence. Plaxtons were (and still are) located at Scarborough, one of a number of UK coachbuilders to have set up in coastal resorts to utilise available local labour outside the peak holiday season. This petrol engined bus ran for Bradford Corporation until 1962 when it was bought for preservation by the Society.
111 (CRC 911) - 1952 Crossley DD42/8A, Brush double deck
One of a batch of five, 8 ft wide, synchromesh gearbox Crossleys purchased in 1952 by Derby Corporation, a year when the Corporation's motor bus fleet consisted of a batch of Brush bodied Fodens, a batch of Crossleys, and the more traditional Daimlers. The Crossleys often appeared on driver training duties in their later years. After many years in preservation after withdrawal in 1970, No. 111 is now in preservation with Harpurs Coaches of Derby.
Corporation 122 (KDT 393) - 1951 AEC Regent III, Roe double deck
Sold by Doncaster Corporation after only 4 years service, this bus passed to local independent Blue Ensign. After withdrawal in 1967, this bus was later used for driver training. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
Cleethorpes Transport 57 (NAT 766A - originally TJV 100) - 1962 Daimler
CVG6-30, Roe double deck
The last in a long line of Daimler half cab buses bought by the Grimsby-Cleethorpes Joint Transport Committee and its constituent Cleethorpes Corporation, No. 57 fittingly survived to be the last such bus in regular service, prior to its withdrawal in 1981. It then passed in to non-PSV use in north Lincolnshire, including use as farm workers' transport as the 'Barton Berry Bus' in Barton on Humber. It entered preservation in 1989 by which time it had lost its original registration number.owned by Messrs Hutchinson, Lincs
Corporation 5 (VL 1263) - 1929 Leyland Lion LT1, Applewhites single deck
Believed to be the only surviving bus with bodywork by Lincoln based Applewhites', this bus was first withdrawn from service in 1938, to be reinstated the following year because of the war-time shortage of buses, and kept in service until 1949. After 6 years' use as a snow-plough, No. 5 was rescued from a scrap-yard to become the LVVS's first vehicle - it was extensively restored by Lincoln City Council in 1984-6.
Corporation 64 (BFE 419) - 1941 Leyland 'Titan' TD7, Roe double deck
No. 64 was new in 1941 to full pre-war specification as one of a batch of two, which started the long sequence of Roe bodied Leyland buses which made up most of Lincoln's purchases from 1946 to 1970. Withdrawn in 1962, No. 64 was bought for preservation by the late Mr Vincent LeTall, a founder member of the LVVS, and has subsequently passed to the Society. It currently carries the livery it carried between the late 40s and late 50s.
Corporation 73 (UVL 873M) - 1973 Bristol RELL, Alexander single deck
New to City of Lincoln in 1973 as one of a batch of 12 REs. No. 73 was the first of the batch to be withdrawn, and passed to Birds' of Ongar, Essex in 1983. It later passed to Webb, Galleywood, Essex. By 1992 the bus was in the care of Craig Tilsley, engineers, in Staffordshire. After the bus came to the Society's attention in late 2000, Craig Tilsley donated the bus to the Society. An extensive restoration was carried out in 2010/11 by the transport team of the Lincolnshire Co-operative Society, as a community donation; and the bus has been on the road since spring 2011 in an advertsing livery for the Co-op, and attended many events as part of the Lincolnshire Co-op's 150th anniversary celebrations.
Corporation 89 (RFE 416) - 1961 Leyland 'Titan' PD2, Roe double deck
A late example with vacuum brakes and built to 7'6" width, originally delivered in a non standard shade of green, No. 89 survived to be Lincoln's last open platform bus in service in 1977, then entering preservation.
(FFU 860) - 1949 AEC Regal III, Willowbrook single deck (dual purpose)
Ordered by Enterprise Passenger Services, Scunthorpe, but delivered after Road Car had acquired the Company. This bus ran briefly in Enterprise's red/cream livery (and as far as we are aware, without fleetnames) prior to repaint into Tillings green livery. After non-public use, this bus came to preservation in the early 1970s.
| Lincolnshire 1045
(SVL 830R) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
New in 1977 as one of Lincolnshire's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker, No. 1045 served at a number of depots, including a spell in a special 'Newton Rider' livery for Grantham area services. No. 1045 was withdrawn in 1993 and began a second career as a driver training bus with Derby City Transport, passing to Arriva Derby. Withdrawn in 1999, it passed in to preservation, and after some years in 'National green' livery, it currently wears post privatisation green / white / yellow livery.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
(FW 5696) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
Leyland single deck buses were the mainstay of the pre-war Lincolnshire Road Car fleet, this bus (new as fleet number LT 368 with a Brush body) was one of the first batch of what became a fleet of 88 'Tiger' TS7 and TS8 models purchased in the mid 1930s, and were among the first buses in the County to be powered by an oil (diesel) rather than a petrol engine. A new Burlingham body was fitted in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1409 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired for preservation.
Owned by Mr J Marshall, Marshalls of Sutton on Trent Ltd
Road Car LO 603 / 1503 (B503 FFW) 1985 Leyland Olympian, ECW double deck
| Lincolnshire 1431
(CVL 850D) - 1966 Bristol RELH6G, ECW single deck
New to Lincolnshire Roadcar with 47 seat dual purpose bodywork, this coach spent much of its service life based at Skegness and Boston depots, for express service D (Skegness / Boston - London) as well as tours and excursions during the summer season, and was often transferred to Lincoln or stored out of service during the winter months. 1431 was the first vehicle in the Lincolnshire fleet to receive 'National Coach White' livery, in 1973. Its later years were in NBC 'local coach' / dual purpose green and white livery, as fleet no. 2231 mainly at Newark depot. In preservation since 1982, 1431 returned to the road in 2011
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
(OVL 465) - 1960 Bristol MW5G, ECW single deck
In service with Lincolnshire Road Car until 1977, this bus saw seasonal use for farm workers' transport in the York area until 1994, still carrying National Bus green livery. Acquired for preservation, it passed to its current owner in 1995 and was restored to Tillings green.
RCL 2239 (CUV 239C) - 1965 AEC Routemaster, Park Royal double deck
New to London Transport's Romford (London Road) garage for limited stop 'Green Line' services, this vehicle was downgraded to country bus status under London Country in 1972, and withdrawn in 1979. It returned to London Transport, initially for driver training duties, then from 1980 to 1983 with its platform doors removed, for passenger service from Stamford Hill garage. In 1983 it passed in to working preservation with Blue Triangle Buses in Essex. After a spell with Imperial Buses, also in Essex, it is now in the fleet of London Routemaster Bus Company, Wisbech as one of a fleet of former London buses available for hire.
photo by EDDIE on Flickr and used under Creative Commons licence.
Sutton on Trent DD99 (T3 YRR) - 2000 Volvo B7TL / Alexander ALX 400 double
This bus was new to Dublin bus (fleet number AV 103, registration 00-D-70103) operating from Conyngham Road, depot in 'City Swift' livery. This type was the Dublin Bus standard double decker in the first years of this century, with 648 entering service between 2000 and 2007. Along with a similar bus, it joined the fleet of Marshalls of Sutton on Trent in 2014.
Photo by 'AC Best' on Flickr, and used with permission
Corporation 129 (VV 8934) - 1945 Daimler CWD6, Duple 'utility' double deck
A rare survivor of the wartime 'utility' specification buses built to a basic design requiring the minimum of materials and skilled labour. After a body rebuild in 1952, No. 129 ran in service until 1959 and was sold for scrap. After an amazing survival, 129 was bought for preservation in 1991, and moved to Lincolnshire in 2000. A long restoration was completed in 2011.
|Southdown 677 (GUF
727) - 1947 Leyland 'Tiger' PS1, Eastern Coach Works single deck
New as fleet no. 1227, the Company's first post-war coach, for London - South Coast express services. In 1955, as newer coaches entered service, this vehicle was re-numbered, modified for bus work and allocated to Horsham. After withdrawal in 1960, 677 was used by a local charity for a few years, later being acquired by its present owners in 1973.
Owned by J & P Jefford, Lincs
| Tyne & Wear
413 (952 JUB) - 1964 AEC Regent V, Roe double deck
New to Leeds City Transport as No. 952, this bus passed via OK Motor Services to Tyne & Wear PTE in 1975, to meet what was expected to be a short term vehicle shortage. It ran until 1979, carrying mainly its Leeds livery with some panels painted yellow. It entered preservation after withdrawal, and returned to the road a few years ago carrying its Tyne & Wear livery.
Morecambe - TE 8318 - 1929 Chevrolet LQ, Spicer mini-coach
An American designed coach and the predecessor of the famous Bedford, this Chevrolet undertook daily tours during the summer season from Morecambe to the Lake District until the 1950's. Although generally in the condition in which it was last used, the coach has been thoroughly serviced and an electrical overhaul has been carried out.
We are most grateful to the owners of visiting vehicles.
page created 29.4.18