Transport Festival - Sunday 4 November 2018 - The Vehicles
This lists the vehicles that were on the road on Sunday 4 November.
| left -
AGO 903, 1933 Austin Seven saloon
right - CVL 212, 1947 Austin 10 saloon
| left -
TL 48, 1928 Austin 12 open tourer
right - JV 4936, 1936 Austin 18 saloon
FW 9805, 1937 Ford V8 shooting brake
right - BUT 7 - 1939 SS Jaguar 2.5 Litre Saloon
Buses and Coaches
Corporation 2548 (JOJ 548) - 1950 Guy Arab IV / MCW double-deck
One of a batch of 100 Guy Arab / MCW double deckers delivered in 1950-1, No. 2548 was allocated to Quinton garage until 1968 when it was re-allocated to Hockley. After withdrawal from passenger service in 1972, it became a mobile publicty bus for West Midlands PTE's 'Travelcard'. After being in storage for a year, it was withdrawn in 1977 and it entered preservation in 1979. After some years rallying, an extensive restoration was completed in 2011.
owned by the 2548 Group, Birmingham
|Black Cat Travel 'Bagpuss' - B19 BCT -
1990 Leyland Olympian / Alexander double deck
New to Citybus, Hong Kong (fleet number 148, registration ET 1613), this bus came to the UK in 2003, and re-registered G128 WGX was one of a number of this batch operated by Stagecoach for its new 'Megabus' network. With Stagecoach fleet number 13636, it later passed to Stagecoach Western and received yellow 'school bus' livery. After a short spell on similar work with Stagecoach Bluebird, it passed to Stagecoach in the Highlands where it ran in white livery. It is now with Black Cat Travel of Lincoln, and has received silver / black livery.
Owned by Black Cat Travel, Lincoln.
|Black Cat Travel
'Tigger' - K666 BCT - 1994 Daf SB250 / Optare Spectra double deck (new as L126
New to Wilts and Dorset as no. 3126, this bus passed to Thandi of Birmingham, where it carried the registration number SUI 6583. Along with a similar bus (named 'Marmalade' in the Black Cat fleet) it has retained its orange based livery.
Owned by Black Cat Travel, Lincoln.
|Black Cat Travel
'Sophie' - RGV 248N - 1974 Leyland Leopard / Willowbrook single deck
New to Hedingham and District, Essex as fleet number 84, this bus passed in to preservation, latterly in active use in a new livery with O'Ruadhagain's Coaches. It has recently been acquired by Black Cat Travel, and will be available for special events, weddings and enthusiasts' tours.
Owned by Black Cat Travel, Lincoln.
(Alexander Northern) NPE 90 (GSO 90V) - 1979 Leyland Leopard / Alexander single
New as a 53 seater bus, this vehicle was re-seated in 1988 with 49 'dual purpose' seats. Following privatisation of the Scottish Bus Group, this vehicle passed to Stagecoach, and it continued in service in Perth until 1999. It saw later service with Stonehouse Coaches, Lanarkshire, then passed to a Cheshire operator, but did not enter service with them. After entering preservation, it has had mechanical and body restoration to its mid life condition.
Owned by Mr Duffill, Birmingham.
|Brown's Blue Bus
Service - KLB 596 - 1950 AEC Regent / RT, Weymann double deck
Markfield (Leics) independent operator 'Browns Blue' was taken over by Midland Red in 1963, and among the operating fleet were nine ex London Transport RT type buses. None of these survived into preservation, and to mark the 50th anniversary, KLB 596 was restored to Browns' livery.
As RT 1347, it was new at London Transport's Holloway garage, and acquired its current chassis and body combination at a 1967 overhaul. It has been in preservation since withdrawal in 1978.
Owned by Mr & Mrs Gamble, Leics.
Coaches 72 (ACT 540L) - 1973 Leyland Atlantean, Northern Counties double-deck
RL 516 (EPW 516K) - 1973 Bristol RELL, Eastern Coach Works single deck
This bus passed in 1984 to the the Cambridge based Cambus fleet when Eastern Counties was divided prior to deregulation, then in 1989 to the associated Peterborough area VIscount Bus & Coach. After sale in 1990, it saw further service with Johnsons Coaches (Hanslope), Buckinghamshire Road Car, then Blue Bus Services (Busways) in Tyne & Wear, prior to entering preservation in 1998.
It is now owned by the RL 516 Group, Norfolk
National 1327 (ONO 59) - 1949 Bristol K5G, ECW double deck
National 1516 (FWC 439H) - 1969 Bristol RELL, ECW single deck
Cleethorpes Transport 57 (NAT 766A - originally TJV 100) - 1962 Daimler
CVG6-30, Roe double deck
The last in a long line of Daimler half cab buses bought by the Grimsby-Cleethorpes Joint Transport Committee and its constituent Cleethorpes Corporation, No. 57 fittingly survived to be the last such bus in regular service, prior to its withdrawal in 1981. It then passed in to non-PSV use in north Lincolnshire, including use as farm workers' transport as the 'Barton Berry Bus' in Barton on Humber. It entered preservation in 1989 by which time it had lost its original registration number.
owned by Messrs Hutchinson, Lincs
Cleethorpes Transport 113 (MBE 613R) - 1977 Leyland Fleetline, Roe double
One of a batch of six Leyland badged Fleetlines delivered in January 1977, the Roe bodied Fleetline being GCT's standard double deck bus from 1969 to 1980. No. 113 was later converted to open top form, and passed in to the Stagecoach East Midlands heritage fleet, often based at Chesterfield, but with some summer season returns to Cleethorpes. It entered private preservation in 2017, making its debut at our November 2017 event in Stagecoach livery. It has now been returned to GCT orange and white.
owned by Mr G Lord, Lincs (GCT 113 website)
Transport 50 (TBC 50X) - 1982 Dennis Dominator, East Lancs double deck.
New in 1982, this bus passed with the rest of the Leicester undertaking in to the Leicester City Bus, GRT then First Bus identities. It later passed to First South Yorkshire where it was used as a driver training bus. It then passed in to preservation and has been restored to Leicester City Transport livery and condition.
Owned by the Leicester Transport Heritage Trust.
Corporation 1' (KW 474) - 1927 Leyland Lion PLSC1, Leyland single deck
New in 1927 to Messrs Blythe and Berwick, Bradford, passing with that company to West Yorkshire Road Car, then being sold for further service in Jersey. Withdrawn in 1959, this bus was chosen for preservation by the then recently formed LVVS, as an 'identical twin' of Lincoln's second 'No. 1' VL 300, and it has carried Lincoln livery since its restoration.
Corporation 5 (VL 1263) - 1929 Leyland Lion LT1, Applewhites single deck
Believed to be the only surviving bus with bodywork by Lincoln based Applewhites', this bus was first withdrawn from service in 1938, to be reinstated the following year because of the war-time shortage of buses, and kept in service until 1949. After 6 years' further use as a snow-plough, No. 5 was rescued from a scrap-yard to become the LVVS's first vehicle - it was extensively restored by Lincoln City Council in 1984-6.
Transport 45 (KTL 45Y) - 1982 Leyland Olympian ONLXB/2R, East Lancs double deck
One of a batch of three Bristol built Olympians, 45 was fitted with an electronic dot matrix destination display when new and received a special livery for the 'Birchwood Flyer' service. It was renumbered 645 when LCT was acquired by RoadCar in 1993 and was the sole remaining ex LCT vehicle to pass to Stagecoach in December 2005. Subsequently renumbered 14695 in February 2006, it was withdrawn from service in October 2006 and acquired for preservation. It now carries the livery in which it first entered service in 1982.
Corporation 73 (UVL 873M) - 1973 Bristol RELL, Alexander single deck
New to City of Lincoln in 1973 as one of a batch of 12 REs. No. 73 was the first of the batch to be withdrawn, and passed to Birds' of Ongar, Essex in 1983. It later passed to Webb, Galleywood, Essex. By 1992 the bus was in the care of Craig Tilsley, engineers, in Staffordshire. After the bus came to the Society's attention in late 2000, Craig Tilsley donated the bus to the Society. An extensive restoration was carried out in 2010/11 by the transport team of the Lincolnshire Co-operative Society, as a community donation; and the bus has been on the road since spring 2011 in an advertsing livery for the Co-op, and attended many events as part of the Lincolnshire Co-op's 150th anniversary celebrations.
Corporation 89 (RFE 416) - 1961 Leyland 'Titan' PD2, Roe double deck
A late example with vacuum brakes and built to 7'6" width, originally delivered in a non standard shade of green, No. 89 survived to be Lincoln's last open platform bus in service in 1977, then entering preservation.
Road Car LO 603 / 1503 (B503 FFW) 1985 Leyland Olympian, ECW double deck
(FFU 860) - 1949 AEC Regal III, Willowbrook single deck
Ordered by Enterprise Passenger Services, Scunthorpe, but delivered after Road Car had acquired the Company. This bus ran briefly in Enterprise's red/cream livery (and as far as we are aware, without fleetnames) prior to repaint into Tillings green livery. After non-public use, this bus came to preservation in the early 1970s.
| Lincolnshire 1045
(SVL 830R) - 1977 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
New in 1977 as one of Lincolnshire's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker, No. 1045 served at a number of depots, including a spell in a special 'Newton Rider' livery for Grantham area services. No. 1045 was withdrawn in 1993 and began a second career as a driver training bus with Derby City Transport, passing to Arriva Derby. Withdrawn in 1999, it passed in to preservation, and after some years in 'National green' livery, it currently wears post privatisation green / white / yellow livery.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
| Lincolnshire 1063
(YVL 837S) - 1978 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
One of Lincolnshire Road Car's large fleet of Bristol LH buses, and carried a semi advertising livery for some time in the National Bus Company years. In 1987 it was hired to Maun of Mansfield. After being withdrawn in 1989, it moved to the north-east, and saw further service with the Tyne & Wear Omnibus Company then Blue Bus Services. From 1994 it became a driver training bus. The new century saw this bus return to Lincolnshire in preservation, and it has recently been returned to running order in National Bus green livery.
Owned by Mr M Wilkinson, Lincs
(FW 5696) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
Leyland single deck buses were the mainstay of the pre-war Lincolnshire Road Car fleet, this bus (new as fleet number LT 368 with a Brush body) was one of the first batch of what became a fleet of 88 'Tiger' TS7 and TS8 models purchased in the mid 1930s, and were among the first buses in the County to be powered by an oil (diesel) rather than a petrol engine. A new Burlingham body was fitted in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1409 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired for preservation.
Owned by Mr J Marshall, Marshalls of Sutton on Trent Ltd
(FW 5698) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
From the same batch of buses as 1409, this bus was new as fleet number LT 368, and similarly received a new Burlingham body in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1411 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired by the Societys founder member, the late Vincent LeTall, for preservation, and passed along with the rest of his vehicles to the Society.
| Lincolnshire 1431
(CVL 850D) - 1966 Bristol RELH6G, ECW single deck
New to Lincolnshire Roadcar with 47 seat dual purpose bodywork, this coach spent much of its service life based at Skegness and Boston depots, for express service D (Skegness / Boston - London) as well as tours and excursions during the summer season, and was often transferred to Lincoln or stored out of service during the winter months. 1431 was the first vehicle in the Lincolnshire fleet to receive 'National Coach White' livery, in 1973. Its later years were in NBC 'local coach' / dual purpose green and white livery, as fleet no. 2231 mainly at Newark depot. In preservation since 1982, 1431 returned to the road in 2011
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
| Lincolnshire 2378
(OVL 473) - 1960 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
The 'FS' model was a later version of the 'Lodekka' design, and this is one of many specified by Lincolnshire (and neighbouring company 'Eastern Counties') with 5 cylinder engines. Withdrawn in 1977, 2378 ran for a year in service with J.P.Williamson of Gauldry, Newport-on-Tay before passing into private ownership. An unexpected return to passenger service came in 1986 with Stagecoach of Perth, followed by a spell with Stagecoach subsidiary Magic Bus in Glasgow, latterly as a driver training bus. In 1991 it returned to preservation, and is now owned by Mr I Rolley, Notts
| Lincolnshire 2494
(RFE 482) - 1961 Bristol SC4LK, ECW single deck
The SC was not very common among the 'Tilling' fleets, but Lincolnshire was the largest operator of the class, with 113 of the 323 built, the type being well suited to the rural network. 2494 was withdrawn from service in 1975, then running with Majestic, Barnsley. Later re-purchased by Lincolnshire Road Car for active preservation, it ran for some years with registration number NVL 165 before being re-united with its original number.
Owned by Stagecoach in Lincolnshire.
(DFE 963D) - 1966 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
No. 2537 was the last Lodekka bought new by Lincolnshire Road Car, and survived to be the company's last rear entrance bus in regular service, and was one of the three buses that operated on the last day of Lodekka operation in regular service at Scunthorpe in October 1982. In preservation (mainly in south west England) since then, 2537 returned to its home county in 2009.
Owned by Mr M Gallagher, Lincs
RM 1641 (641 DYE) - 1963 AEC Routemaster, Park Royal double deck
One of a Leyland engined batch new to Muswell Hill Garage, this bus received its current chassis and body combination in 1980, and ran from Clapton garage. As Routemasters were withdrawn in the mid 80s, Leyland engined examples were considered non-standard and withdrawn early, this bus passing in to non PSV use in 1985. It is now restored in active preservation in 1970s livery, and is one of the examples of Routemasters that escaped the refurbishment programme of the 1990s. It is one of a fleet that is available for private hires.
Owned by London Routemaster Bus Company, Wisbech
RTL 1256 (LYR 788) - 1951 Leyland PD2, Park Royal double deck
RTL 1256, one of the Leyland engined variant of London's large RT class, was new in red livery for London 'central bus' services, and was one of a small number of RTLs to receive green 'country bus' livery in 1959. After a short period in service from Hatfield Garage, the green RTLs were transferred to driver training duties. After some time in preservation, it returned to PSV status with Imperial Buses, Essex, and in recent years has operated on London's streets as an emergency extra bus during Underground disruption. It is the only green RTL surviving.
Owned by London Routemaster Bus Company, Wisbech
7 (NNN 7M) - 1974 Bristol RELH, ECW single deck.
Delivered new in white 'coach' livery, this vehicle received a repaint to green / white 'dual purpose' livery before entering service. After the Mansfield District operation was combined with East Midland, this bus continued in service until 1989, finally with East Midland's 'Frontrunner' operation in Essex. After spells in preservation with Parfitt, Rhymney Bridge and Tenby Bus and Coach, it entered preservation in 1991.
Owned by B Sharpe, Derbys.
|Midland Red 227
(JHA 227L) - 1973 Leyland Leopard, Marshall single deck
A 'dual purpose' example of Midland Red's S27 class single deck, a batch of 50 1973 models among over 500 Leyland Leopards bought by Midland Red. This vehicle spent most of its working life based at Shrewsbury, under Midland Red North ownership when the company was divided. Withdrawn in 1987, it passed in to preservation, and has been restored back to National Bus Company dual purpose livery.
Owned by Messrs Evans and Woods, Staffs
|Midland Red 5919
(RHA 919G) - 1968 BMMO S23 integral single deck
One of the last fully 'home made' single deck buses built by BMMO in their own workshops, with BMMO 10.5 litre engine and semi automatic gearbox. This bus saw service at Banbury, Malvern and Wellington prior to withdrawal in 1980. It entered preservation in 1981.
Owned by Mr C May, Leics.
|Midland Red North
'Chaserider' 808 (BVP 808V) - 1980 Leyland National 2 single deck
New to Midland Red, this bus passed to Midland Red North in 1981 when the company was divided. In 1988, it ws sold to North Western, then in 1992 to Vanguard Coaches of Bedworth. In 1995, it moved again to G and G Travel of Leamington, then in 1997 returned to the Midland Red fold when that company was sold to Stagecoach Midland Red South. After entering preservation in 1999, it has had a few owners and now carries the 'Chaserider' fleetname adopted for the South Staffordshire area.
Owned by Messrs Coles and Owen, Worcs.
Corporation 129 (VV 8934) - 1945 Daimler CWD6, Duple 'utility' double deck
A rare survivor of the wartime 'utility' specification buses built to a basic design requiring the minimum of materials and skilled labour. After a body rebuild in 1952, No. 129 ran in service until 1959 and was sold for scrap. After an amazing survival, 129 was bought for preservation in 1991, and moved to Lincolnshire in 2000. A long restoration was completed in 2011.
Corporation 267 (JVV 267G) - 1968 Daimler CVG6DD, Roe double deck
The last of a long line of Roe bodied Daimlers bought by Northampton Corporation, No. 267 is also significant as the last Daimler CV model bus built for the UK market, the last pre-selector gearbox bus, and the last teak framed bodied bus to enter service in Britain, and one of the last open platform buses to enter service. 267 remained in passenger service until the mid 1980s when it entered a spell of 'special duties' work with Northampton Transport. It subsequently entered preservation
owned by Northampton Transport Heritage
Services P2 OTL - 1996 Volvo B10M, East Lancs single deck
New to Delaine Buses, Bourne as fleet number 122, this and sister bus 121 were sold to Quantock Motor Services, Somerset, in 2009, and received a livery based on Quantock's house colours and Delaines' livery style. Both passed to Berry's Coaches of Taunton in 2014. This bus passed in to preservation in 2018, with a view to return to Delaine livery in the future, although it retains Quantock livery at present.
part of the Eastern Bus Enthusiasts collection.
| Tyne & Wear
413 (952 JUB) - 1964 AEC Regent V, Roe double deck
New to Leeds City Transport as No. 952, this bus passed via OK Motor Services to Tyne & Wear PTE in 1975, to meet what was expected to be a short term vehicle shortage. It ran until 1979, carrying mainly its Leeds livery with some panels painted yellow. It entered preservation after withdrawal, and after a few years out of action, returned to the road in 2014 carrying its Tyne & Wear livery.
(BXI 2599) - 1983 Bristol RELL, Alexander (Belfast) single deck
Entering service in 1983, this bus was (numerically) the second last Bristol RE chassis, although an earlier batch of chassis entered service later, it is now the newest surviving Bristol RE. After withdrawal in 2003, this bus entered preservation in N Ireland in 2004, moving to England in 2006, and to its current owner in 2013.
owned by Mr P Waplington, Notts
Services BG 147 (FHN 833) - 1940 Bristol L5G, ECW single deck
New largely to pre-war specification, the bodywork was built at Irthlingborough, Eastern Coach Works having been evacuated from Lowestoft. Following a body swap with similar bus in 1947, this bus visited ECW's Lowestoft works for a rebuild in 1951. Withdrawn in 1957, it passed to Alexander (Greyhound) of Sheffield, and used mainly for contract services from the Lincoln area to power stations then under construction in the Trent Valley. Withdrawn in 1963, it was acquired by the LVVS. Attempts at restoration in the 1970s came to a halt due to the intricate curved wooden body frame, and restoration did not re-start until the late 1990s. Completion - and its first MOT since 1963 - came in late 2018, and this bus made its debut at this event.
Morecambe - TE 8318 - 1929 Chevrolet LQ Coach, Spicer
An American designed coach and the predecessor of the famous Bedford, this Chevrolet undertook daily tours during the summer season from Morecambe to the Lake District until the 1950's. Although generally in the condition in which it was last used, the coach has been thoroughly serviced and an electrical overhaul has been carried out.
|York Pullman 64
(JDN 668) - 1954 AEC Regent III, Roe Double deck
No. 64 continued in service until 1971, after covering 840,000 miles in service, and twice having to be rebuilt after collisions with low bridges in the York area. Extensively restored by the late Tony Peart, this bus was bequeathed to the LVVS in 2007.
We are most grateful to the owners of visiting vehicles.
page updated 18.11.18