LVVS comes to Newark - Saturday 13 July 2019
Our members and a fleet of buses descended on Newark on 13 July as part of our programme to get out and about in and around the County, and to mark the centenary of the start of operations by Newark independent bus operator W Gash and Sons, whose fleet became nationally known among enthusiasts for its long serving Daimler double deckers which lasted in to the 1980s.
Star of the show was our former W Gash and Sons Daimler DD2, which was completed just in time after the burning of plenty of midnight oil. It gave a very good account of itself on the road.
Our thanks to Newark and Sherwood District Council for allowing us the use of the parking area in front of their new offices, which was ideal for its temporary role as a bus station and display area.
There was considerable interest from the local public and enthusiasts - thanks to all our members and friends who took part and to everyone who came to see us.
the following buses were running -
|W Gash and Sons
DD2 (KAL 579) - 1948 Daimler CVD6, Massey double deck
This bus was new in 1948 with a Strachan low-bridge body, one of a batch of four Daimlers which were the first new double deckers bought by independent W Gash and Sons Ltd. In the late 1950s, the batch received new Massey bodies to standard 'high-bridge' style, the low railway bridge at Saxondale having been modified.
This bus continued as one of Gash's well known fleet of Daimlers until 1979, when it entered preservation. After many years at the Transport Museum at Wythall, Worcestershire, it joined the LVVS fleet in 2017, and is making its operational debut at this event.
(YVL 837S) - 1978 Bristol LH6L, ECW single deck
One of Lincolnshire Road Car's large fleet of Bristol LH buses, and carried a semi advertising livery for some time in the National Bus Company years. In 1987 it was hired to Maun of Mansfield. After being withdrawn in 1989, it moved to the north-east, and saw further service with the Tyne & Wear Omnibus Company then Blue Bus Services. From 1994 it became a driver training bus. The new century saw this bus return to Lincolnshire in preservation, and it has recently been returned to running order in National Bus green livery.
(FW 5698) - 1935 Leyland 'Tiger' TS7, Burlingham single deck
From the same batch of buses as 1409, this bus was new as fleet number LT 368, and similarly received a new Burlingham body in 1949, and the bus was renumbered 1411 in 1953. After withdrawal in 1959 it was acquired by the Societys founder member, the late Vincent LeTall, for preservation, and passed along with the rest of his vehicles to the Society.
1904 (JVL 619H) - 1969 Bristol VR, ECW double deck
| Lincolnshire 2318
(LFW 326) - 1955 Bristol LD6B 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
An early example of the 'Lodekka' design that allowed adequate headroom in both decks, within a 13'6" height. This bus worked mainly from the Boston and Skegness depots until withdrawal in 1973, prior to being acquired for preservation by Vincent LeTall, one of the LVVS's founder members.
| Lincolnshire 2378
(OVL 473) - 1960 Bristol FS5G 'Lodekka', ECW double deck
The 'FS' model was a later version of the 'Lodekka' design, and this is one of many specified by Lincolnshire (and neighbouring company 'Eastern Counties') with 5 cylinder engines. Withdrawn in 1977, 2378 ran for a year in service with J.P.Williamson of Gauldry, Newport-on-Tay before passing into private ownership. An unexpected return to passenger service came in 1986 with Stagecoach of Perth, followed by a spell with Stagecoach subsidiary Magic Bus in Glasgow, latterly as a driver training bus. In 1991 it returned to preservation, and having been based at Boston depot for much of its service life, it has been restored with the Oldrids advertisement it carried in service.
(OFW 806) - 1957 Bristol SC4LK, ECW (dual purpose) single-deck
New as a coach, and used for private hire and express services, 2609 was one of a number of Lincolnshire's coach SCs rebuilt for 'service bus' use in 1970, and was withdrawn in 1972, and after sale in 1974 had subsequent owners in Northampton and Sunderland before returning to Lincolnshire for continuing preservation..
page updated 13.10.19